Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Imacon Precision II

Need help with Imacon Precision II

I recently purchased a used Imacon Precision II that has been converted to a Precision III. I am running it with a dual processor G5 mac. I am working with a Ratoc FR1SX scsi to firewire converter. I am using Flexcolor 4.04 software. I have been able to get the computer to communicate with the scanner. I am scanning transparency film. When I scan for a preview or final scan the image is washed out—light reds, blues, and yellows. I can just see faint detail in the image. Do I have a software setting wrong? I have scanned several times with reboots between trials but no success. Can anyone give me some idea of what to do?

Thanks, Fred

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Need help with Imacon Precision II

How the scanner knows the focus?

Open up the Histogram window and correct the slide's. All of the Histogram must be between the sliders.

Gary, it doesn't seem to matter how the histogram is set. It still scans the same. I am attaching a sample.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Fred, try a scan with the slot empty and post the image

I am attaching two images. One with the empty 4X5 film holder (left) and one with no film holder. Both are just white. I have added the black rule to the no film holder to show the border. The other has a light edge border which is from the film holder.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Fred,
    That's the expected image.
    The perfect scenario to troubleshoot is on the windows enviroment but I'm guessing you don't have a PC around. In the meantime, could you capture the setup and preference settings on the Flexcolor application. I already tried and by no means I'm able to get a similar image. Also check Ratoc web site. I think your imacon needs a "downgraded" version of the firmware in the adapter.
    Armando

I have exactly the same set up as you and the only problem I ever had was with the scusi connection, have you got a terminator cap (This may well be incorrect terminology ) on the unused connector, you might also want to look at the length of the cable, both of these issues caused me problems, the other thing you might want to do is to make a A4 print scan just to make sure that it is not a problem with the back light

Thanks for all your input. I have resolved the problem. I checked several things and will list them below.

1. I took out the lamp used for scanning transparencies and centered up the shield that goes around the lamp and then replaced it.
    2. I set the scsi number to 0.

It was doing one of these two things and I suspect it was checking the light that did the trick.
    I did a 4X5 scan and it turned out beautiful.

Thanks again for your responses.
    Fred

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Fred,
    I can't see the lamp being the problem here.
    Do you remember the previous SCSI ID for the card and the Imacon? Do you have any other device in the chain?