Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley weather late Nov/early Dec?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Death Valley weather late Nov/early Dec?

I'm thinking of making our annual post-Thanksgiving trip a domestic one this year (if I can convince my spousal unit). What might I expect in DV at that time?

Drew Wiley

Re: Death Valley weather late Nov/early Dec?

Long-term forecasting is tricky to say the least, but on an "average" year this can be
    a very pleasant time there. Not so hot, and not likely to be winds like in mid-Spring
    to throw fine dust all over your gear and film. But once in awhile the Valley can be
    a cold sink and require a jacket. Snow up on the Wildrose road can happen, but a
    dusting of snow up on Telescope Peak should be regarded as a photographic bonus. Just check with the rangers about any current hazards or washouts on the backroads, and of course take plenty of extra food and water just in case of a delay somewhere, along with a sleeping bag. The low angle of light during these shorter
    days is especially appealing. It is also a very nice time to visit the adjacent Panamint Valley, Owens lakebed, and Lone Pine area below MT Whitney, where there
    are more accommodations.

The talk in the desert is that this winter is supposed to be cool and dry. Summer was, with the steady high temperatures starting in mid summer rather than in May.

Eric Woodbury

DV? Domestic? Not really. If you mean N. American, that it is.

I've been to DV every year since 1979. Many times at T-day. Others are right, the weather is typically good, but I've been blown away, washed away, frozen, and driven out by throngs of tourists (of which I'm one). All of that adds to the adventure and sometimes to the photography. I do not recommend the T-day weekend, as it is one of the busiest. Consider just before or anytime through New Year.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I am planning to head to DV myself on Dec 3-5. Right now I am still stuck in Afghanistan but will be returning from this deployment shortly. I look forward to seein what others post as far as what weather to expect or plan for as well as advice on where to go to photograph. As it looks now, I'll be camping out there during the weekend. I will bring plenty of warm clothes, water and food.

God Bless,
    David

Many of the "little traveled roads" are now obliterated so you can't drive on them, or even find them. For instance you can no longer go to Keane Mine or a couple of other locations which I went to every year for 20+ years. Be aware that the bar and restaurant at Stovepipe Wells Village burned. This limits your eating locations.

Eric Woodbury

JIM, hey there. The restaurant burned? Oh no. That's bad. The store there is worthless, so I'll have to take more and better food.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Drew Wiley

I took some good food once. I was in Saline Valley, which certainly rivals Death Valley
    for beauty, and is now part of the same Natl Park, but harder to get into - and had
    some venison steaks cooking on the tailgate on a Coleman stove while I was soaking
    in one of the hot springs just a few feet away. A coyote ambled up and deftly yanked
    one of the steaks right off the hot stove and trotted off with it.

Eric Woodbury

Drew, better the steak than the truck.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Drew Wiley

Dakotah - I haven't been there recently, especially since only the main road has been
    passable since the big storms a couple years ago. There were two big problems with
    the New-age/hippie batch that camped there. They were vandalizing the volcano
    with giant peace sign intaglios, which didn't sit well with the new Park jurisdiction;
    and second, there is an Indian tribe which considers the valley sacred. In earlier days
    the military also used the valley for rescue training - and those hills around it are
    certainly rough enough - in fact, I was there once when the two paratroopers being
    "rescued" were never located. That's a sad ending. If anyone does go there in the
    winter or fall (summer being too hot) they should carry at least two weeks of food
    and water. The one way in (just off Westgard Pass) can remain shut for over a week
    at a time. And having an extra spare tire or two isn't a bad idea either. I once broke
    an oil pan back in there - but that's a story for another day.