At the advice Dan Fromm, I recently bought Nikon Macro-Nikkor 55/2.8 and Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 lenses for use in a macro projects (they're currently at SK Grimes being adapted to a 4x5 lens-board and MP4 polaroid shutter).

I'd like to use these lenses for use in scanning light macrophotography.
Attachment 44552

Here are some diagrams of the SLP setup, which requires creating a plane of light on the sample, and rising the sample through the plane of light as the film is exposed.

Attachment 44553

Attachment 44554

I have a few projectors, but I am thinking that it might be easier to setup the plane of light with a circular ring of light around the sample (and it will also create less harsh light). My two ideas are:

(a) Use a circlight fluorescent bulb and some kind of mylar foil around it to shape the light and block off all but a slit of light along a plane.

(b) Using a DIY fiber optic illuminator made from a CFL, reflector, and a bunch of fiber-optic cables aligned at the light-source, with the fiber optics arranged around a circular disc at the terminal end. See the illustration below:

Attachment 44555

Would either of these work for creating a plane of light? Or would the light diffuse too much by the time it reaches the sample? The fiber-optic cables would be sandwiched between two black flat circular donut-shaped pieces of material. Maybe they could be recessed in inwards a little, so that the light waves would have to pass through a narrow black cave slit after exiting the fiber-optics, hence eliminating off-angle light and making the light directional? Thoughts?