Thread: How to use Gitzo Tripod Configurator?

Remember to take out the trash

How to use Gitzo Tripod Configurator?

To make sense of the bewildering array of choices Gitzo has Tripod Configurator. But does anyone know how to use it? When I make selections on the left side I don't get any list of suitable tripods in the main section no matter how inclusive my selections. Although I'm very computer literate, I'm probably missing something obvious

I contacted Gitzo but they haven't responded.

I'm open for suggestions for other brands. Feisol seems to be highly regarded although I've read their legs have thinner walls than Gitzo, and I'm specifically looking for something which lasts 10+ years like my aluminum Manfrotto, broken by airline luggage handlers. Contacted Manfrotto about parts but they didn't respond, either. Must check my breath...

I'm looking for a very stable 3-section full-size carbon fiber tripod for 6x6 and 4x5 use, with an optional center column. My 1541T is a bit light for 4x5 and marginal for 6x6. Not sure if having a leveling tripod is critical for movements? My 4x5 doesn't have movements, but you never know, I might get an 8x10 some day and would like the big tripod to be able to handle that as well!

Re: How to use Gitzo Tripod Configurator?

There's a site online that sells repair parts for Manfrotto, but I'll be dipped if I can remember the name.

I looked at the Gitzo configurator & couldn't make it work either. Put all the parameters in & that was it. Nice idea, poorly executed.

If I recall correctly, www.reallyrightstuff.com has a pretty good layout of Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods and you can probably find the model number you are looking for there. They also make a tripod, but I havent heard much about it or seen one in use.

According to their site you would be looking for a GT3531 Mountaineer I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by feppe View Post
    Contacted Manfrotto about parts but they didn't respond, either. Must check my breath...
    Maybe the place you contacted but if not you could try this one:
    http://www.bogentripodparts.com/

Remember to take out the trash

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    According to their site you would be looking for a GT3531 Mountaineer I believe.
    I've been looking at GT3531S. The S stand for Systematic, I believe. You can attach a leveling base to the S. I'm not sure if one can attach a ball head directly to the tripod, without using a center column, to either GT3531 or GT3531S which would be one of my main requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Maybe the place you contacted but if not you could try this one:
    http://www.bogentripodparts.com/
    Thanks, but I'd prefer to deal with a European seller to save on shipping.