Thread: Wireless shutter release?

Wireless shutter release?

I am thinking about a way to fire the shutter wirelessly from a distance (100m would be nice). I have a feeling that I might have to resort to DIY using some cheap RC equipment, hooking up a servo to the shutter cable release.
    Has anybody done this? Are there any commercial solutions out there?

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Wireless shutter release?

I did it with my RC car radio and a standard servo. I trips a copal self-cocking shutter, but not my speed graphic focal plane shutter. It hooks up to any standard cable release. Not exactly compact; I was going to make another one that used modulated IR so I could use an IR remote, but that would have less range.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I remember a radio controlled release being marketed many years ago, but haven't seen one recently.

maybe the mechanical part of the device could include this ->

http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_html...nic_cable.html

These are made to accept the triggering output of either a sound or laser trigger or a manual foot trigger made by the same company.

They cost about US$900.

You would still have to find some way of interfacing a PocketWizard or similar to the device but that should not be too hard for someone with an electronics background.....

Perhaps it would be worth an email to the Kapture Group ?

You are probably not the first person to have had this requirement, and with any luck they might have a pre-made solution.

Another idea would be to use the Horseman ISS-G3 electronic shutter system ->

http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/digital/ISSG3.html

This is much more expensive (about US$2000 for control unit and US1000 per shutter - available in Copal 0, 1, 3) but there might be some way to trigger an exposure by connecting a PocketWizard to the control unit. You would also buy yourself great accuracy in shutter speeds, more control, and reproducibility of exposure, but may need to be near a power source as the unit is driven by 24V DC via a power adapter.

It's not clear from their website how you would trigger the unit externally, but there are 2 serial ports on the control unit which can be used for connecting a computer or a digital back (to synchronize the back to the shutter), so there may be a way.

Someone could probably rig a remote car starter to a door-lock solenoid to operate the camera. Then you'd have a little radio controlled key fob to operate your shutter.

You've certainly chosen an inconvenient path for yourself. By comparison using a DSLR for remotes is a piece of cake (my Nikon D300 actually allows remote Live View from my laptop prior to pressing the shutter, wirelessly at 100 yards with a WT4A accessory, for instance). A medium format film camera with an electric release is a peace of cake, as well, if you're intent on using film.

You're not easily going to get film advance with LF so a simple solenoid release is probably easiest (e.g. no need to remotely re-cock the shutter). If you're intent on doing this with LF, I'd look hard for a Super Graphic that already has an electric solenoid release in working condition, and simply splice/or wire up to a a YongNuo or Phottix trigger. (The YongNuo is capable of 100 yards and is really tiny, and a bargain).

Talking Re: Wireless shutter release?

At 100 metres it seems a long fishline could do the job. No need to waste more of the electromagnetic spectrum.

There are such devices on the market. Check the Calumet catalog. There are also cheaper Chinese copies.