Thread: Kodak E6 Chemical Cost

Kodak E6 Chemical Cost

I’m in the process of purchasing a Jobo CPP2, for developing 4x5 and 8x10 tranny. Unfortunately here in Japan E6 kits are not available. Checking with the local Kodak shop here in Okinawa, the following quantities’ are available.

Developer – 19 Liters
    Reversal – 10 L
    Color Developer – 19 L
    Pre-Bleach – 10L
    Bleach – 10L
    Fixer – 10L
    Final Rinse – 19L

How much? At today’s rate of 85 yen to the dollar = $656.08

Is this nuts or insane!

Two concerns: Shelf life and shooting lots of film to deplete stock. Is this a similar quantity which you are purchasing? How do you manage your workflow?

Re: Kodak E6 Chemical Cost

can you order from a company outside Japan? or would importing chemistry be too expensive?

you might want to try calling Freestyle, they might be willing to help

have part #'s ready for the items you're looking for, let them talk to Kodak(if they're willing)

-Dan

Freestyle won't help, sorry. You need to get the 5L modal kit which runs about $60 here.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I use the Tetenal E-6 kit in 1L size, and it is available from various US, UK shops and Europe. Is there a comparable Naniwa kit?

The CPP-2 has a couple of generations, with the latter generation built for handling the expert film drum sizes. If your CPP-2 cannot handle the larger drum, then you can still rotate it by hand in the tempering bath.

Well, I have half a mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I use the Tetenal E-6 kit in 1L size, and it is available from various US, UK shops and Europe. Is there a comparable Naniwa kit?

The CPP-2 has a couple of generations, with the latter generation built for handling the expert film drum sizes. If your CPP-2 cannot handle the larger drum, then you can still rotate it by hand in the tempering bath.
    B&H and Adorama have recently discontinued E-6 kits . Freestyle still carries the Arista 3-step E-6 in quart and gallon kits.

Hi guys, I recently purchased my first 4x5 camera and setup a darkroom in my extra bathroom

One of the things I intended to do from the start was E6, but wanted to get the hang of BW first. I just started looking into E6 kits within the last couple weeks and noticed they are disappearing. I had a chance to get the Kodak or Tetenal kits on B&H when I looked a little while back but hesitated, now they're gone

Is Arista the only option left? Is it worth trying or should I start looking for a lab? I've used A&I mailers for 35mm in the past, but I can't find any info on their website for 4x5 E6 mailers. Not even sure how I would send exposed 4x5 sheets? Maybe I'll have to start visiting down town (there's a lab there that I'm pretty sure will do it).

Options seem to be running out, what's left out there?

gdavis, the Arista kit works well although I have read that the kits of this type do not have the same archival properties as a proper 6-bath E6 development.

I have had good experience with www.theslideprinter.com, which will develop 4x5 for $2 a sheet. $15 minimum, but free shipping. You can email them to request a mailer. You mail your exposed film in the black bag the film came in, or you can buy dark bags from Adorama.