Thread: File size limitations with a '99 SCSI Eversmart Supreme?

File size limitations with a '99 SCSI Eversmart Supreme?

Hi guys,

I just was offered an Eversmart Supreme for a good price but I'm not sure if the machine is still up to today's standards?

Apparently it's from 1999 and uses a SCSI interface with a G4 mac attached to it.

Are there any file size limitations when scanning 8x10? I mean the specs say 5600 dpi but would I really be able to scan an 8x10 at this resolution? 1 gb, 2 gb, 4 gb?

Also, is this scanner competitive with an IQSmart 3 from say 2006? I mean hasn't scanner technology evolved in all those years like with the dsrl cameras so you possibly might see a cleaner file from a 2006 scanner?

Kind regards

Paul

Re: File size limitations with a '99 SCSI Eversmart Supreme?

Paul,

I was told by a former Scitex operator that any file size limitations you encounter will be due to the computer, not the scanner. The reason is that the file is written as the scan is being made. So if you have some limitation to file size it is probably due to storage capacity or memory issues. I use an Eversmart Pro with a MAC G4 running OS 9.2.2 and have not come across any file limitations, though the largest scan file I have made with this combination was 1.5 Gig in size.

Never have had an opportunity to directly compare an Eversmart Supreme with an IQSmart3 with similar specifications so can not address your other question.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSchneider View Post
    Hi guys,

I just was offered an Eversmart Supreme for a good price but I'm not sure if the machine is still up to today's standards?

Apparently it's from 1999 and uses a SCSI interface with a G4 mac attached to it.

Are there any file size limitations when scanning 8x10? I mean the specs say 5600 dpi but would I really be able to scan an 8x10 at this resolution? 1 gb, 2 gb, 4 gb?

Also, is this scanner competitive with an IQSmart 3 from say 2006? I mean hasn't scanner technology evolved in all those years like with the dsrl cameras so you possibly might see a cleaner file from a 2006 scanner?

Kind regards

Paul
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Just waiting to be developed..

Re: File size limitations with a '99 SCSI Eversmart Supreme?

This brings me back to when i was running Trident with my Howtek 7500 drum scanner.
    It couldn’t save any files over 2gb on OS9. This is an OS and to some extent a software level limitation.
    OSX, Windows 2k, XP and beyond do not have these limitations. Thats why i switched all of our scanners to DPL from Aztek.

Apple has a tech note here.
    What apple said is that they developed some extended API’s for OS9 that extend the file size limit to 4gb.
    Some software products may have taken advantage of it but im not aware of scanner software that has.
    You should be fine scanning up to 1.98gb or so. Some part of the data fork is a takes up rest iirc.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express