Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arca-Swiss vs. Linhof Technikardan 45s

Arca-Swiss vs. Linhof Technikardan 45s

Yes the TK 45S, the Master technika, the Technika 2000 and the Technorama 617S III are all still on special at very deep discounts with the US 5 year warranty through any camera store who does not sell gray market Linhof.

As for practicing opening and closing the TK without a bellows this really won't teach you how it is done as the bellows helps the standards to rotate properly.

Opening and closing a TK is very easy and all one needs do if they need help is call our 800 phone line. 800 735-4373.

I too own an Arca F-line C w/ microorbix and the leather wide angle bellows - I can confirm that this bellows works fine down to about 1m with a 210mm Sironar S (albeit w/o much movements, and of course the 30cm extension rail). IMHO, this is truly a fine camera with an enormous range of absolutely yaw-free movements (you get up to 10cm front rise w/o any accessory, some studio m onorails I know offer less here!), and rather easy to transport and set up, thou gh not exactly light (I use a the medium size Tamrac rucksack).

The few things that could be better are a more durable finish (in my experience, it wears off rather fast at stressed edges, the Linhofs I saw looked more rugge d to me), and a bit stiffer standard posts (IMHO these are just a tad too much o n the lightweight side, though I experienced no real problems while using the ca mera). If you prefer to work with direct movements and on-axis tilts, please consider t hat the orbix tilts on-axis only if no front rise is applied (but this can be ov ercome conviently by using indirect rise, using the base tilts).

If it might be helpful, I've started to put some information on the Arca-Swiss F-line Field camera on my web site at http://www.twestbrook.com/Photography/Large_Format/Arca-Swiss/arca- swiss.html. It's not too well organized or complete yet, but I have most of the major points covered and include a few photos. It's not a review, but a compilation of facts. If you see something I missed that you want to know, just email me and I'll try to answer.

i'm using a technikardan S 45 with bag bellow, most of time with a apo 55mm and a 6x7 super rollex. I'm very happy with it, and i can use linhof lens bord, pola 545i back, 4x5 read yload... If you want to shoot only roll film, then arca swiss is more convenient if you want to rent equipment, then sinar is the best if you want to shoot 4x5 and backpack a lot...i think the winner is the technika rdan arca 4x5 still a very good compromise (still large compare to a technikardan), a nd their binocular viewer is a dream ! I was looking for an arca swiss f line metrix 69, when i bought my linhof...then i found out, that i need to shoot 4x5, when i need to shoot in very wide angle ( crop to 6x12). Good luck