Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 8x10 For My Purposes - Looking For Input

Best 8x10 For My Purposes - Looking For Input

Looking for educated input that comes from personal experience that is...
    I am interested in taking a leap and burying myself in 8x10. I have been doing a lot of reading on the different cameras available and frankly there's just too much information out there. What I am looking for is the perfect camera (and lenses)...for me I will use it in the field as well as in studio (more field then studio though). It will be used to capture everything from landscape to portraits to table top. I would like to have as full a range of movements as is possible both in front and back so that I have the most versatility and function possible at my disposal. I am in love with old cameras (antiques/vintage) and the energy they carry with them so finding a camera that will make me feel right is important as odd as that may sound but I dont know if any of the older cameras can offer me what I am looking for (but it seems that some can). I am guessing that I'll lean toward wood because I plan to carry it and backpack a lot. I have been looking at Deardorff quite a bit but I need more specific info on the models and which ones, if any, have what I'm looking for.

From your experiences, please share with me your input on the vintage and modern cameras (wood and other materials) that I should be looking at and which ones fit the criteria that I am looking for. Also, input on lenses with the "ideal" camera would be very much appreciated.

(For those of you out there who will need to over emphasize the point that the "perfect camera" is specific to the individual, I know that. I am asking for opinions on what others, with experiences that may relate to what I want to do, feel would be best for me.)

As usual, thanks so much for your help everyone.

Re: Best 8x10 For My Purposes - Looking For Input

Richard Ritter's 6.5 pound 8x10. 35" of bellows for tabletop and closeup. More movements than you'll ever need, extremely lightweight for backpacking, Sinar or Deardorf lensboards, Richard's support should you need anything custom.

Maybe not perfect, but awfully, awfully good.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I own 8x10 cameras from Wisner, Zone VI and Richard Riter. The Ritter gets all the use, the others serve a back-ups/collect dust...nuff said!

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

Best of luck in your quest,

Many will say stay away from them but if you truly want a camera that can do everything don't dismiss the idea of a monorail system camera.

If you are inclined towards something vintage you might like to consider a Sinar Norma or for greater flexibility an modern F2 although the 10X8 F2 would be a harder to backpack.

If you like wide angle landscapes consider the Nikon 120SW no movements but about the widest you can go and still reasonably priced and just about available, the next step up is the 150-165mm range all of these need large centre filters and none are inexpensive Nikon 150SW 150mm f5.6 Schneider Super-Symmar XL Rodenstock Grandagon 155mm f 6.8. For moderate wides the old 58mm filter ring Fuji 210w is a great lens and a lot cheaper than the rare Rodenstock 210w none of the slightly older 240 lenses has huge coverage but they do cover and the Schneider Symar s can be quite cheap newer lenses with wider coverage are available but at a price. For normal lenses 300mm and 360mm Symar s and Rodenstock Sironar n's are relatively cheap as they are huge and not many people want then more expensive but lighter lenses of Teslar designs are available in the Nikon and Fuji ranges.

If you do consider a Sinar camera also consider the Sinar shutter as it's a great path to cheap lenses as the db mounted lenses it uses often go for a song also if you want to try the older strange portrait lenses that are popular in these parts but are usually in barrel it will make your life easier.

What I consider perfect or at least usable you might not but hopefully there are some ideas there which might be useful

You may decide that backpacking and having a solid, versatile camera are at odds with each other. Some people have a heavier camera for studio work, or use the heavier camera gear and move it around using a baby stroller or SUV.

Also the weight of the 8x10 system as a whole is greater -- the film holders quickly outweigh the camera itself -- and what good is an expensive ultra-light camera if you can't carry enough film to be satisfied with your shoots?

Which is why you see very few 8x10s continued to be backpacked after people try it.

No one camera does it all.

I recommend buying quality used gear to save on cost. I'm not saying my camera is the best for what you want to do, others here have suggested quality gear to consider, but when I was looking for a camera, I picked up a KB Canham 8x10 Lightweight model. Have never looked back regretting the purchase. Keith Canham stands behind his cameras, even if you purchase one used.

Regarding backpacking with an 8x10 system – get a 3-wheeled jogging stroller to roll your equipment instead of carrying it on your back.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I agree with Walter: I don't believe that there is any one camera which can be proven to all observers to be superior to all others. That said, you say you like older cameras, so you might be happier with a wooden field camera. Deardorff's are well thought of and are certainly available in the marketplace in condition from 'abominable' to 'nearly new.' Tachihara makes a very nice looking 8x10 wooden field camera in both double and triple extension models at reasonable prices. Keith Canham still makes his unique 8x10 wood field model, I believe, although I might be wrong. Older models such as the Ansco and B&J have plenty of movements but they're getting quite old and well-used; there might be some restoration involved. Ditto for the lighter but somewhat less functional (fewer movements) contemporaries and predecessors such as Kodak 2D, Seneca, etc. Pretty cameras and well matched for some people, but I don't think they match what you said are your needs and preferences.

More functional but not wood include the Wehman 8x10 and the Kodak Master View it is an improved successor of, the previously mentioned 8x10 camera from Richard Ritter, and various other new and expensive choices from Ebony, Lotus, etc. Really, you're going to have to do more research to narrow things down.

My own preference: Wehman, hands down. Not for everyone, though: he can't make nearly that many cameras.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I have a Zone VI 8x10 -- pretty close to the movements, size and weight of a Deardorf. With a Ries tripod and a selection of glass and 5 to 7 holders, I am hiking with around 60 pounds of equipment. Keeps me in shape, to say the least I can still get to where I want to go, but at 56, I don't know how much longer -- another 5 to 8 years perhaps. Then I will have to leave a lens or two at home and cut down to 4 holders if I want to make any distance. Or buy a Ritter and a f9 300mm lens instead of the FujiW 300/5.6 that is my main lens.

Lens choice depends on how you see and the limitations of the camera. A 120mm would not work with my Zone Vi -- too much bellows in the way to use much movements...nor do I like that wide of a lens Even my 159mm is tough to use the way I want to use it. My 210 (Wollie Graphic Raptar) sees more use -- and would see even more if it was in a shutter.

I prefer my 300mm/5.6. I photograph in low light most of the time (in the redwoods) and having a lens that is over twice as bright for viewing as a lighter f9 lens is worth the extra weight. If one does not have that restriction, then the Nikon 300/9 is a nice lens.

If I spent more time in Yosemite and such places, my 19" and 26" lenses would see more use (RD Artars barrel lenses), but even then, when I do go into the mountains, not having a shutter is a hassle. I need to use slower film and perhaps start using a ND filter to get the exposure times over a second...which in turn is a hassle if there is any wind. The Zone VI can handle the 26" with no problem, but was at its limit when I tried a 28" lens at infinity.

Good luck in your search!

Vaughn

You might want to rethink your desire for all possible movements. In general the more movements you have the more complex the camera, the heavier the camera, the more things there are to zero out when you take it down, and more "fussy" to set up. Do you really need back fall? Back shift? Or any shift for that matter (you can almost always just move the tripod a little). For most purposes if you have front tilt, swing, rise, maybe fall but not necessarily since you can always just point the camera down, and back tilt and swing, you have all the movements you need.

I've owned two Deardorffs and two Kodak 2Ds. All were nice cameras. If I were buying another 8x10 it would be a Deardorff - well made, solid, sturdy, simple to set up and take down, easy to operate, good bellows extension (28 inches or something in that range, you can look it up), and good resale value if you decide you don't like 8x10.

I'm not a fan of monorails for field work though some people are. I don't offhand ever remember seeing anyone here say they started out with a field camera for field work and want to switch to a monorail, I've seen literally a hundred or more people who say they started out with a monorail for field work and want to switch to a field camera.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It is all very useful and I'm using it all to consider what I'll go for.

You might want to rethink your desire for all possible movements. In general the more movements you have the more complex the camera, the heavier the camera, the more things there are to zero out when you take it down, and more "fussy" to set up. Do you really need back fall? Back shift? Or any shift for that matter (you can almost always just move the tripod a little). For most purposes if you have front tilt, swing, rise, maybe fall but not necessarily since you can always just point the camera down, and back tilt and swing, you have all the movements you need.
    If I were buying another 8x10 it would be a Deardorff - well made, solid, sturdy, simple to set up and take down, easy to operate, good bellows extension (28 inches or something in that range, you can look it up), and good resale value if you decide you don't like 8x10.
    Asking because Im currently leaning toward Deardorff, is there a particular model that you would recommend? I suppose you are right about not needing excessive movements in the field. Also, I've seen modifications for Deardorffs on ebay that allow you to modify the front standard to do different things. Is this necessary on all models or are there specific models that have most of what I'm looking for? I guess the question becomes which Deardorff would be best for my purposes and has the most movements that can be of benefit in the field? Which modifications would be best to expand the functionality of this particular camera? Thanks for your input.