Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra light tarp to use with tripod for backpacking shelter ?

Re: Ultra light tarp to use with tripod for backpacking shelter ?

I've used one from Harbor Freight ( I think it cost five bucks.) A really slick solution would be to have one sewn up out of gortex, two sided white (or another color)and black to multitask as a focusing cloth/rain poncho/changing bag
    Another option would be just the rainfly off a Eureka 2XT or similar backpacking tent
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I spent some time tinkering with a shelter that would wrap around a tripod with its legs out and found that it was going to weigh too much, the area under the legs was awkward and the whole thing still blew over in the wind so I abandoned the idea.

Most lightweight backpack tarps/shelters require two trekking poles, but I carry the tripod in my walking hands so I'm not about to carry trekking poles too.

Then I bought a Gatewood Cape by Six Moons Design. Its designed for a single pole, and a tripod with one leg extended as needed works fine, the other legs stay folded. 11 ounces and it doubles as raingear. I tied a 1/4-20 socket to the harness where I attach the tripod so it doesn't slip off.

You might want to try ripstop nylon. You should be able to get it at an upholstery store. Spray it with waterproofing on it that is used for tents. Really light. Really cheap. I have been thinking about doing this to cover a hammock when I am out in the boonies.

funkadelic

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/
    I highly recommend MLD. Ron is a UL hiker himself, and an all around nice guy. He is very helpful if you want to call up and ask questions. He is also willing to customize any of his gear for an additional charge.
    If you want lightweight tarps, check out cuben fiber or spinntex. They're lighter, but come at a premium. I've got an MLD Grace Duo (spinntex). It isn't as light as the cuben offering, but it's plenty big enough and works well for my needs. I tried a cuben solo tent a couple of years ago (before the colored material was available), but was turned off by how much light passed through it. Not much shade on those sunny days!
    I've not been out on a hike in quite some time, but the poles are good to help in balance, as well as shelter support. Maybe some of you just need lighter poles! If you're looking to leave the poles at home, why not just carry more line and tie off between two trees? Of course this only works if you're below the tree line... not a problem on the east coast. For those of you to the left, or points higher up, you'll need to find what works for you.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Although I have quite a light tent, I am looking to lighten my load further on backpacking trips. Most ultra-light folks seem to use tarps. One thing which is particular about a (large format) photographer is that he has a nice tripod which provides more solid support than a pole. Given that, is there any commercially-made tarp that works particularly well with a tripod ?
    Not sure but round here there's a bit of a tradition of making do with what's closest to hand. Just the other day I was making a note on how pleased I was with my oilskin riding cape cum camera shelter:

Out in the field with a large-format camera when it starts to rain ...
    http://camera-antipodea.indica-et-bu...a-rain-oilskin

With the beast off the top, and assuming one didn't have leg braces, then I'd say it would provide reasonable short term shelter. If it was wet and I wanted to spend the night out without bothering with a tent then I'd probably resort to the old oilskin sleeping bag cover now living in one of the sheds (ex standard issue I think). This cover has also seen decent service as a ground sheet. Possibly not as light weight as some of the synthetics now available but extremely durable and, as with the riding cape, easy to reproof.

Best, Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

neophyte

Id second mountain laurel. It might also be worth asking at backpackinglight.com
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

As someone who has "been there - done that" over the past few years, because of increasingly arthritic knees, I can offer the following specific observations:

• Tarps are the "hot" UL shelter gear of the moment. Read up on them and their uses before committing to one. (i.e., RayWay - Ray Jardine, arguably the grandfather of the light packing movement, and someone you are likely to already be familiar with -- although, I was doing what I called "rucksacking", sans camera, in the late 60's and early 70's in virtually the same manner, without the expensive, unavailable, high tech gear.)
    • The shelter comments on the sites are from hardcore users and should be taken seriously.
    • Tarps pitched on a single point will suffer immediate condensation. Tarps pitched with open ends will expose your sleeping bag to backsplash, unless very large and pitched just right. This suggests the use of a bivouac bag as well. Even without bugnetting, you're already up to the weight of several commercially available ultralight pitch-anywhere, screened, self-supporting tents (i.e., 3 - 3.5 lbs.).
    • Most such UL shelters are intended to be pitched with trekking poles, which I now use anyway whenever carrying a pack multi-day, to alleviate stress on the knees. I don't see how one could lie beneath a spread tripod and move at all, unless it were a very large one (more weight).
    • The other issue about the use of a tripod for tarp support, is that the occasions when I need the tripod to shoot pretty much coincide with the occasions when a support is needed for my abode.
    • While fine for hiking and covering terrain, I have found them to be generally incompatible with photography as a primary backcountry pursuit. The inevitable slowing of waiting for good light, in sometimes less than ordinary optimum hiking conditions, means stagnating in one spot for long periods. For me, this suggests more comfort, and a basecamp approach to life in the wild, than the UL ethos can provide.
    • The above noted, if you're a gearhead (I'm not), you will undoubtedly have a great time figuring this out, with so many options available.

My solution to this dilemma of load lightening is to attack the problem from the camera end of things. As of 2009, I no longer carry LF on multi day trips, as I cannot justify the advantages over MF (120) and a limited number of lenses in the field, given fine grained films.

Heres my Sierra Designs Origami tarp tent in Maclure Basin in Yosemite last Sunday. We got nailed by two days of wind, very cold temps and snow! The tarp tent worked great using a walking stick for the center support. If I knew it was going to snow, I would have brought a more substantial tent, more clothes and more whisky!

-Brad

I've looked into the tarps here too, but at the moment I cannot say that I think they would work for me. For one, in the areas I tend to camp, the mosquitoes are horrid, so netting is a must. Then the splashing issue comes into play and a floor would be needed. With all the components that are involved, the tarp+floor+netting is suddenly up around 3+ pounds, and my old North Face NHP isn't much more.

I personally don't use trekking poles when backpacking. I agree that they can help the knees, but they just get in my way, often deflecting on rocks into my footpath.

One line I haven't seen mentioned here is the Tarptent line - which seem to be very good single wall silnylon shelters. But this ultrathin silnylon is not a durable as traditional tent nylon and may only last a few seasons if subjected to harsh weather.
    http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    <snip>
    One line I haven't seen mentioned here is the Tarptent line - which seem to be very good single wall silnylon shelters. But this ultrathin silnylon is not a durable as traditional tent nylon and may only last a few seasons if subjected to harsh weather.
    http://www.tarptent.com/products.html
    Silnylon isn't meant to be durable. It and other materials in the ultralight niche are designed for lighter weight. Some people, myself included, are willing to compromise durability for reduction in weight. I figure if my time under it is little, then so is my time spent concerned about it. I've got a good plan for most possibilities when I'm in the backcountry. My only real concerns (which vary by locale) are bears and lightning; neither of which are stopped by other shelter materials. The weight reduction from this lighter material, combined with other strategic weight reduction in my backpack, makes a hike much easier on my knees, causes less fatigue and allows me to walk longer than I used to back when I was lugging around a 40-50 pound pack. Without camera gear, my load for a 3-4 day outing starts out at a little over 12 pounds. It could be less, but this is my comfort zone for a long weekend. Everyone has their own level of comfort, and it should be determind in short trips before committing to an extended trip away from the safety of home. If you prefer a heavy duty 4 season tent, get what fits your level of comfort and have fun!