Thread: Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Shortly I will be starting a series of 8x10 portraits using HP5+. I normally ra te it at EI 250 and develop in 8x10, though with the few 8x10 portraits I've don e in the past, I've found that a little more speed would be nice- subjects don't usually respond too well to "ok, now don't move for the next 12 seconds." Sinc e there really isn't any faster film available in 8x10, my next step seems to be push processing it. I've pushed HP5+ as far as EI 1600 in 35mm many times with good result, but I've never tried pushing film in 8x10. Any tips, pointers, et c? Anything particularly different about pushing 8x10? My two main film develo pers are PMK an HC-110, so I would be using one or the other. Thanks for any th ought.

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Should read "I normally rate it at EI 250 and develop in PMK..."

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Dave,

While testing HP5+ for platinum-ready negatives, I found that it was better at delivering a genuine speed-boost than the expanded tonal range without increased shadow speed that I was after. This was in HC110 developer. The good side of this is that you should be able to use this combination to get much more than ei 250 for portraits made in typically soft and flattering--low light ratio--conditions. I don't think you'll do well attempting to push in PMK.

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

David, I pulled an old HP-5 data sheet I had hanging on the wall and they say it can pushed to 1600 with ID-11 developing 18-22 1/2 minutes at 68. They quote a figure of 12-15 minutes at 75 degrees F. You may want to adjust agitation, time, etc. for your own lighting, subject matter, and desired contrast. HP-5 is a beautiful film. The Darkroom Cookbook (I think it was them) says there ID-11 and D-76 are the same formula. I have great results with HC-110, but have pushed only once at it was successful. I would probably go with the slightly softer ID- 11 or D-76 for portraits.

Regards,

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Microphen or X-tol will give a ture 2/3rd stop speed increase when developed to normal or low contrast.

Pushing HP5+ in 8x10

Although I don't normally push LF film it works the same way as pushing smaller formats.

Using a different developer such as a PQ developer will give around a full sto p more "real" speed, based on shadow density, than your standard developers for a neg developed to "normal" contrast. It's as if you get a little speed for free .

To push 8x10 just do the same as whatever works for you for 35mm.