Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone photographic application recommendations?

iPhone photographic application recommendations?

What iPhone apps do you recommend/use most often to help make the photographic process more enjoyable? For example::: whether, sunlight, sunset apps; exposure, dof calculators; darkroom development; timers; photo notebooks, journals.

Re: iPhone photographic application recommendations?

I use the Massive Dev Chart app every time I develop black and white.
    That's my number one recommendation. I have a couple other apps like PhotoCalc which looks OK but which I never use.

I admit to using the LightMeter quite a bit to double check my sunny-16 skills, but while it feels wrong to use the iphone to meter for Hasselblad shots, I find it absolutely ridiculous to use it when I'm out with the Sinar. A Sekonic is on the way.

What I need is an app that reminds me what film I have loaded in my different cameras and holders, but it would have to be telepathic since I'm bad at remembering to update manually...

LightTrac is pretty neat if you want to see the sunrise, sunset, moonrise and all the angles the light will be coming from at different times.

Photo Tools Pro, by our own Lenny Eiger, is one I like for LF. The iFotoGuides are excellent for info on the locations they cover. The Photographers Ephemeris is a handy tool for calculating where the light will be and when. iHandyLevel (free) is good. There are a few for calculating DOF: DoF, PhotoCalc, etc. ICSC Clear Sky Chart is good for guesstimating whether there will be clouds. Massive Dev Chart if you develop your own film.

Oh, and MagicHour is good for sunrise/sunset, related times. You can also get simpler versions of the basic times for free on some weather apps (I think the Weather Channel, for one).

Guys, I am looking for an application that allows me to calculate alternate exposure values for the same exposure (including shutter speed, aperture, iso and ev values) by altering one or more of the perameters. It should also be able to calculate a new value by entering exposure compensation and by including reciprocity calculations.

Eg.
    I have an exposure reading of 20s @ f2.8 @ iso 100. I then need to calculate how long is the exposure at f22 and let's say I want the iso also to be changed to iso50. However I am now getting the equivalent shutter reading of let's say 5minutes. I now need to take the reciprocity characteristic of the film into account and extend the exposure for an additional 5 minutes. What is the final shutter speed needed.

Eg.
    I have an exposure reading of 20s @ f2.8 @ iso 100. I then need to calculate how long is the exposure at f22 and let's say I want the iso also to be changed to iso50. However I am now getting the equivalent shutter reading of let's say 5minutes. I now need to take the reciprocity characteristic of the film into account and extend the exposure for an additional 5 minutes. What is the final shutter speed needed.
    My Windows Mobile App does that check the Resources section. It uses Curve fitting to fit the reciprocity curves of various films to figure in reciprocity correction. Maybe you can find a cheap Windows Mobile Phone on Ebay like the Motorola Q (doesn't even have to be activated) and use it.

I made an app that does exactly what you're talking about... You type in what your meter says, and then it can calculate reciprocity and bellows compensation automatically. There's even a "Program" mode.

I've been too busy to get it 100% ready for app store submission, but it is in the queue...

That sounds great Ben! Can I trial it?