Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Mountains, Australia

Blue Mountains, Australia

I'll be visting the Blue Mountains, Australia, in about 4 weeks from now, and am looking for suggestions for sunrise or sunset photography. I'll be shooting 4x5, mostly Fuji Velvia 50.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Blue Mountains, Australia

Hi Robert,

The classic sunset shot is the Three Sisters at Echo Point, Katoomba from the viewing platform - but, if its a nice evening then be prepared to get there early to book your spot amongst the crowd.

As for other places? Govetts Leap lookout at Blackheath should be quite nice at sunrise.

I'm not quite sure where else to sugggest. Bear in mind that the Blue Mountains consists of a number of deep valleys carved out of a plateau - they're not mountains in the European sense of alps. Sunrise/sunset is more often determined by when the sun disappears behind a nearby cliff rather than below the horizon - particularly at this time of the year when the sun is lower.

Cheers

Thanks Carey, I have a great photo of the Three Sisters on my desk taken by Ken Duncan.

I'm staying in Katoomba, but I'm willing to go where I need to go to catch the sun. I thought I'd try to find a couple of waterfalls, the two that look promising are Sylvia Falls at Wentworth Falls, and Yosemite Creek - I've seen pictures of the waterfall at Yosemite Creek, but haven't found out how to get to it.

I haven't come across Govetts Leap, but will check that out. Are you familiar with Baltzer Lookout near Blackheath?

I like to shoot the wide view mostly, since I shoot almost exclusively color, but do like a close up view or two.

I've been to Australia several times, this is my 10th trip, but I haven't been to the Blue Mountains before. Unfortunately, I've only got a couple of days in the Blue Mountains ... I'll be spending most of my time in the Alpine National Park area in Victoria, where I've been numerious times.

Thanks for the help,

Robert

Dear Robert,

If you want to catch up while your in the Blue Mountains you should drop me a line. I can advise you of many spots to shoot from. Best to answer this question with a map in front of us.

And am also available as a local photographic guide.

http://lensschool.com.au/photographi.../bluemountains

Always happy to talk to large format photographers.

Regards,

Len

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Metcalf View Post
    Dear Robert,

If you want to catch up while your in the Blue Mountains you should drop me a line. I can advise you of many spots to shoot from. Best to answer this question with a map in front of us.

And am also available as a local photographic guide.

http://lensschool.com.au/photographi.../bluemountains

Always happy to talk to large format photographers.

Regards,

Len
    Robert is excellent company and a very good photographer to boot. Have a wonderful time Robert and I look forward to seeing your images.

Steve

Ross

Hi Robert, last time we met was at the Opera House a few months ago.

As a Blue Mountains resident I'm ashamed to say that I haven't pursued the type of shot you seek, but then I'm a dedicated monochromist. Many times as I have passed through Warrimoo to Valley Heights on the train I've seen striking sunrises and cloud formations, the clouds in particular favour this stretch. BUT it's highly weather dependent and finding a place to set up may well be impossible.

If you do the Hansel and Gretel thing and wander deeper into the bush do let the local cops know of your plans beforehand. They usually have position locators to loan, and people die not too far off the beaten track round these parts.

Regards - Ross

Robert,

I can recommend Len Metcalf. He sure knows his way around the Blue Mountains. He would be able to suggest a lot of the common and not so common locations

I have spent a couple of days with Len Metcalf and can also vouch for him.

Until that point, I had never seen a large format camera, but I was curious to learn.

I found Len on the internet and arranged to spend some time with him, one on one, so I could get a handle on what all this large format stuff was all about.

I found Len to be very knowledgeable and a good teacher.

Shortly after getting home I bought my first LF camera and it was the start of a bit of a photographic journey - I now own four and have begun building a serious darkroom.

You won't go wrong spending a day or two with Len in the Blue Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Thanks Carey, I have a great photo of the Three Sisters on my desk taken by Ken Duncan.

I'm staying in Katoomba, but I'm willing to go where I need to go to catch the sun. I thought I'd try to find a couple of waterfalls, the two that look promising are Sylvia Falls at Wentworth Falls, and Yosemite Creek - I've seen pictures of the waterfall at Yosemite Creek, but haven't found out how to get to it.
    Sylvia Falls are indeed worth a look. Here's an image I made there a while ago: Sylvia Falls

It's a grunt getting down there (and back up) with an LF outfit on your back. I trust you have a reasonable level of fitness and aren't afraid of having sore muscles the next day :-)

There's also lots to see at Wentworth Falls proper. Darwin's walk and the Weeping Rock circuit, the top of the Falls, Princes Lookout, Rocket Point and the stone staircases to the base of the falls are all worth exploring.

I'm not familiar with Yosemite Creek so thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check it out.

I haven't come across Govetts Leap, but will check that out. Are you familiar with Baltzer Lookout near Blackheath?
    Govett's Leap is a lookout at the end of the road at Blackheath. Have a look at google maps or similar to familiarise yourself with the general area. There are a couple of walking tracks that venture along (or down) the escarpment from the lookout. I recommend the walk round to Pulpit Rock if its a nice day.

I am indeed familiar with Baltzer Lookout - was there just a few weeks ago and took this: Hanging Rock and Baltzer Point

Its well worth a visit but be aware that it is about a 40min walk in (and another 40mins out) from the gate on the road.

I like to shoot the wide view mostly, since I shoot almost exclusively color, but do like a close up view or two.

I've been to Australia several times, this is my 10th trip, but I haven't been to the Blue Mountains before. Unfortunately, I've only got a couple of days in the Blue Mountains ... I'll be spending most of my time in the Alpine National Park area in Victoria, where I've been numerious times.

Thanks for the help,

Robert
    If you are staying in Katoomba, then you are centrally located for a lot of the action. However you will probably want to have access to a car to get to and from some of the vantage points and walking tracks.

You can find some of my Blue Mountains shots in the galleries at my website: Carey Bird Photography No colour though

As Ross says (Hi Ross!), be aware that you are in the mountains and that your agenda may have to flexible enough to accommodate less than stellar weather.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want any further details.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    Robert is excellent company and a very good photographer to boot. Have a wonderful time Robert and I look forward to seeing your images.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I've never forgotten the trip we made from Adelaide to Alice Springs, the camping, and the nights under the stars at Ormiston Gorge.