Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this forum going to vanish?

Old School Wayne

is this forum going to vanish?

OK, this forum is startin to freak me out. I havent been able to access it more and more frequently, and for longer periods, and with the talk last winter I won der if its going going almost gone...

There was a thread a few weeks ago, and somebody posted an URL where they were d inking around with setting up similar software at another site. I cnat find that thread now. Anyone have that URL? Is this site going to vanish or not? is that one going to replace it? Am I going to have to rely on....gack,,,cough.....USENE T for my LF info addiction???

I follow Wayne with the same questions.

Old School Wayne

I found the thread I was looking for, or some else found it for me

http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=007HYj

the site was http://joshwand.com/q-and-a/index.php

but it isnt set up (yet? I hope?) for large format. Might not be a bad idea to bookmark it though, in case the next outtage here is the Big One...

Between here and there

I have been around this forum since 1997 and I don't think it will go away. The maintainer of the LF page and this forum seems to be very serious in his efforts to maintain the service. I can't thank him enough for it. I wouldn't be surprised if we can discuss this very thread on this forum in another five years.

If I am proven wrong and this forum goes away, there's still the LF forum on photo.net. So I wouldn't worry. Get out there and shoot some film instead. It's a better way to spend your hours on this planet.

Regards, Jimi
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

As opposed to how we should spend it on another planet...

This is where the discussion comes from, (under THE FUTURE OF THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ ) "As most of you know, this forum uses software and hosting outsourced by Philip Greenspun free of charge at the greenspun.com server. I received an advance notice from him that he will not be able to maintain this service. Some of you have already noticed a number of recent glitches with the service, which initially was flawless. Ideally, someone would install the ACS software on another server (the Berkeley server would not work) and transfer the current forum data to it. However, this person cannot be me because I lack the skills to do that in a reasonable time. Therefore, to continue this forum, I see only two practical alternatives:

Pull out the data from the current server and archive it in some searchable ways. Then switch to another software system. This new system would be either ran from the LF page (with a new domain name), or could be outsourced to something like yahoo!groups. Integrate the LF Forum to photo.net, like the MF Digest currently is. The problem with the first alternative is probably an inferior interface different from the one you are used to, plus possibly work for me and/or anybody who volunteer to help. The problem with the second alternative are the issues which we already discussed in length. So what do you think ?

-- Q.-Tuan Luong (luong@ai.sri.com), December 05, 2001"
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What LF forum on photo.net???

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

My day job is writing software. I wrote the Perl API for my employer's 3270 software.

I know of one message host service which will host this for either free (with ads) or for very cheap per month, and it has an excellent interface. (http://www.xsorbit.com/)

If you want me to port and make the DB searchable, I can do it. Let me know how I can help out.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

The LF on photo.net idea seems to be sparked by Mark Ciccarello's comments in http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-... msg_id=002Cg8. Not that photo.net is any more reliable than greenspun.com.

Between here and there

Well, I wasn't aware of the post that Q-T Luong had made re: the future of the forum, and yes, you are right: there is no LF forum on photo.net, BUT there are threads sorted under the LF category.

I would prefer an ad-free forum, maybe some of the LF camera manufacturers, etc. might be willing to sponsor the forum to help maintain this valuable source of information.

Regards, Jimi
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."