Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Colorado

Hello from Colorado

I just stumbled across this forum while looking for feedback on using PMK with some specific films.

I am a 1987 RIT grad who got away from photography as a profession a couple years ago. Maybe someone will relate, but all those years in commercial photography had caused me to absolutely hate it. Now I am thinking about shooting ONLY for my own appreciation again. I have a nicely equipped, large darkroom, but right now I am planning to only shoot and develop B&W negs (Maybe some transparencies. We'll see.) scan them and go digital from there out.

I have a great Cambo Master PC, which has been used, maybe, twice, in the last 5 or 6 years, and a pretty extensive set of lenses from 58mm to 360mm. Also a Bronica SQ-A outfit with 8 lenses from 40mm to 250mm. They are both outstanding cameras I would love to use again.

Just thought I'd say hello.

Re: Hello from Colorado

Welcome, John! This is a great forum with lots of very helpful people. My first LF camera was a 4x5 Cambo. Still have it, but prefer working in 8x10.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Hi John and welcome to the forum, I can relate to what you said, i used to paint and draw for my own enjoyment, someone suggested i begin to teach classes and put my work on display, so i did, i soon began to get comissions, my classes were full, my paintings and drawings were selling fairly well, i was making money but when my passion turned into a profession it wasnt fun anymore to me it was about making money so it started getting boring i sooned began to hate it, that was 8 years ago and i havnt picked up a paint brush since. I love photography, i might sell a piece here and there but use the money to buy gear or film or whatever, that keeps it fun. Im a chef by trade, (i hate cooking, go figure) but photography is my passion and i dont want to ruin that. good luck and again welcome
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Welcome John - If you are near Grand Junction look me up. There are a few of us lf shooters around here.
    regards
    Erik

Welcome to group therepy, John. Sounds like you're pretty well set up with equipment...you'll probably find that shooting for fun is more fun than shooting for profit!

Eric Biggerstaff

Welcome to the forum John, as Erik noted there is a pretty sizeable group from Colorado who participate here.

Have fun!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Well, I typed up a response, then when I went to post it, the forum had gone offline...

I'll be back.

Hi John,

Let me know if you're interested in shooting in N. Colo. and Wyoming--
    also other areas of the western states. I know some of these areas well
    and am always scouting new locales. Send me a PM if you are travelling
    this way.

Warren Clark
    Ft. Collins, Colo.

Thanks guys.

My history with photography is long and contentious. The last two or three years I have basically abandoned it. It's only in the last few weeks that I've started thinking about shooting, even if it is only a couple times a year. We'll see what happens, but I like the idea of starting with film and then going digital after that.

I had never seriously thought about shooting 8x10 before, but now I'm thinking if I can find a Cambo that uses the same lens boards I use now for a good price, who knows. Might be interesting.

I have a ton of film in the freezer and some of it still must be OK. I need to clear out the darkroom and get some new chemistry. I plan to keep it simple and go with PMK and HC-110, maybe some Rodinal. I'm curious about Efke film. I'm open to suggestions. I always liked experimenting with films and processing.

Warren, I may take you up on that, eventually. I'm in F/C, so it won't be a long trip.

Hello John from Hawaii. What part of Colorado are you in? I grew up in Colo Sprgs, but haven't been there for many years. I've lived in Hawaii the past, 12 or so years; got tired of the snow.