Thread: Wet plate with Sinar F2/4x5

Wet plate with Sinar F2/4x5

Hey chaps,

I'm sure it's probably not that different to wet plate on any other LF camera but anyway! Having seen the Wet Plate Day 2010 website, it's inspired me to investigate wet plate photography and basically, I'm wondering where to start with my Sinar. Where can I get a wet plate holder from? Is it something I'd have to build myself? How about the chemicals? I've found a couple of resources which gives a general overview, which is fine but I need more specifics

Thanks!

Welly

Re: Wet plate with Sinar F2/4x5

Hi Welly,
    The best bet is to attend a training seminar, or buy one of the guides. There are 3-4 people who have written guidebooks, I used one from John Coffer to learn. Also, check out the Collodion Forum, lot's of daily activity and info there. Bill Schwab makes 8x10 holders adapted for wetplate. Or you can make one pretty easily. Yes, your camera will work fine, and any lens will work.

welly, I have done a reasonable amount of research into obtaining the chemicals in NZ, which is not entirely straight forward as collodion is a class 3 dangerous good. PM or email me if you want to hear what I have found.

Your research is slightly flawed... the Ether, Everclear & Pot Cyanide is what I'd keep an eye on.

BaBoom! No smoking or drinking in the darkroom/darkbox Ever!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    welly, I have done a reasonable amount of research into obtaining the chemicals in NZ, which is not entirely straight forward as collodion is a class 3 dangerous good. PM or email me if you want to hear what I have found.

Here's a link on DIY film holder conversion for wetplate use.

You might also enjoy my online article "Getting Started In Wetplate Collodion Photography."

John Coffer's "Do-er's Guide To Wetplate Photography" and DVD set will give you the best info short of taking a workshop.

Thanks very much, guys! Appreciate the advice/help! I'd best do some reading and learning.

James, a pm is on it's way.

get john coffers book. it is a must. google him for his web site.

an 8x10 camera is great as bill schwab has holders that will get you going with no outside work from you.

have fun.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Yes, your Sinar will work.
    Be aware that its beauty will likely be altered as the silver nitrate laden plate will drip on it no matter how careful you try to be. Over time, it can get quite ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    Please tell us how you did. I have exactly the same problem. I cannot get collodion USP, just the other kind, I guess the elastic one, that apparently doesn't work.
    Sergio

My website