Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "PBS POV: SALT" - Photographer Murray Fredericks

Re: "PBS POV: SALT" - Photographer Murray Fredericks

I enjoyed it. Self-indulgent? Sure! But why not? What else is it going to be under those circumstances?

Let's face it: the guy's a little nuts, but I admire the passion he has for his chosen subject matter. Ya won't find me doing that!

While I might have wanted to see some of the images interspersed with the rest, having them come at the end supplied the "surprise and delight" that made them all the more arresting.

Good for him! And as a video guy, way cool!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C View Post
    I liked Salt. Do I need to provide you with films that I've made in order to qualify my opinion too, or does that only apply to opinions you disagree with?.
    I don't recall saying whether I like or dislike Murray's work, so perhaps your presumption that I do like it should be kept to yourself unless you know otherwise?

As for your point about supporting your liking of a subject, it is well made.

However, hackneyed and unsubstantiated criticism of someone's hard work seems quite petty, and, to me, smarts of the principle of "those who can, do; those who can't, criticise".

So, to call something "disingenuous" and not back this up with explanation a cop out.

To his/her credit, sun of sand clearly supported his/her not caring for this film. I hope patrickjames does so as well, because I am genuinely interested in his thoughts on this.

Finally, for what it's worth, I really, really like Murray's images. I am humbled by his patience in waiting for so many different sides to Lake Eyre. And I am equally humbled by his technique and ability. There are many good photographers out there, but not many that I wish to one day be half as good as. Murray is one.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

It reminds me of the addage about not watching sausage being made.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I watched it on PBS last night and enjoyed it. It was quirky, he was quirky, might be an obsessed artist thing, but it showed to me another side of what isolated landscape photography is. Your alone with your thoughts, you talk to yourself, you battle the weather, you wait and wait and wait, you long to be home, but you make your living from the medium and you need to provide for the family. So it was insightful for me and I don't think that I would want to do it. Great photos at the end.

Initially, I thought it was going to be some kinda' Zen meditation video - until the cell phone rang (we definitely stay too connected). The video was really about what some of us photographers will go thru to "capture" the image. And, from the brief view at the end via youtube of his resulting images, it was worth the effort. I ordered the video.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Since I have been completely lambasted by Lachlan 617 (what is up with that?) just because I have an opinion that differs from his, I'll offer him more of it! Since he asked of course. (No offense taken by the way)

If you want to see how a documentary about a photographer should be done, maybe take a look at War Photographer which is about James Nachtwey. There is no self aggrandizing BS in that one. You could also look at the short about Roman Lowranc and the Central Valley.

I have a general problem with artists who talk about how difficult it is to do what they do, seemingly to make their work appear better than it is or to make it more desirable to others, as if their struggle makes them more worthy. One shot in the video was him pushing his bike through the muddy crust of the lake. That is a completely self indulgent shot to make, since if it was so difficult, why did he leave the camera gear behind to do it? To show how difficult it is? Get my point? No one puts a gun to his head to go out there. It is his choice.

As far as Lachlan's point about doing it myself, I certainly have the capability of making a video like this, but I am not a self aggrandizing person. If I was going to do a video, it would be about someone else, and I would make it about their work. I do have plans to make one about a certain person, but I am not in a hurry to do it. As for myself, in my life I have been to some of the most jacked up places, and have come away with some interesting stories, but I tell them only to my friends, otherwise I would be just like the guy in Salt.

For the record, I think he makes some great images, and there was some great footage in the video, so I don't really get why he put emphasis on his own hardship in the video the way he did. To me it takes away from the talent that he has and the majesty of the place. In some of the scenes I was even thinking he was acting like an art student, like in the one I referenced before in which he was not looking at the camera while he was talking. Of course he is the only one who knows what his motivation is. Maybe he will pop in here and we will find out. When I saw that the video was going to air I was anxious to see it, just so you know that I am not negative in general about these things. I always welcome hearing or seeing a story about a photographer, as few of them are made, and they are for the overwhelming part, great to watch. I thought Salt was going to be entertaining and informative. It was in some ways, but the negatives outweighed the positives for me.

And remember Lachlan, these are just opinions, and everyone has a different one. That is what makes the world interesting.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C View Post
    I would've liked to see pictures interspersed - preferably near in the film when they were taken, or at least during similar conditions - to get a better connection between what he was dealing with and what he ended up with as a result.
    Yes, that would have been nice. I'm watching it now, and I keep wondering what images I will see from his trip.

Looks like he's riding a Surley Pugsley with 3.7" Endomorph tires. Jakub Postrzygacz rode the Canning Stock Route on a Pugsley, but he used a trailer that could handle the Endomorph tires. His narative sounds like a lot of other solo adventurers, and what has been described to me by people who have hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. You are out there alone with your thoughts, and you have to have self-discipline to keep going.

I saw that DOC on the telly last week. Absolutely amazing. It sure was nice to see him working with an 8x10 out there.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Well it's either ,, Dog the bounty hunter, ice road trucker's, axemen, swamp logger's,

Just another reality show but at least it's something that interests me..

I liked it

Dog the bounty hunter,, now there's a real gem..so called" Religious"ppl having to have every other word they say bleeped while they look for the illusive pot smoker bail jumper

Sorry to be late on this, but, did anyone go to his site and look at his commercial work? This guy knows how to make interiors look better than real.