Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Film: Why Kodak so Expensive

hacker extraordinaire

Re: 8x10 Film: Why Kodak so Expensive

TMY-2 is a gorgeous film. It's worth every penny. All other ASA 400 films don't even come close to it.
    I agree on that, but I have no problem developing it by inspection using IR goggles.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Bit the bullet and just bought some TXP.

So what's a Fortune 500 company to do when they wade into asking our opinions? Ever try herding cats?

Well, yes, actually.

And it's not a bad metaphor---what you do is open a can of tuna fish, and the cats will follow you eagerly. Sort of like a company that offers what its prospective customers want

Kodak on their own decided that there was a market for an improved high speed emulsion and dropped over $1 MM on the R&D and manufacturing improvements to make it happen. When you recoup these costs in a diminishing market you get a price escalation - BUT YOU GET A GREAT SHEET FILM.

Fact is that TMY(2) is simply amazing and Kodak absorbed the extra costs of running a separate emulsion for sheet film so that they could keep the UV coating off of it for the alt process guys after "we" collectively asked for it.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. I am damn glad it is available and I will but the crap out of it regularly one way or another. I am reminded of the marketing slogan for HK firearms:

"In A World Of Compromise - Some Don't"

Yeah, I see it costs more to purchase a roll of 35mm Tri-x than a share of EK stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Michael, we aren't complaing because Koday came up with a new whiz-bang film. We are complaining because the numnuts won't package it in boxes with enough sheets so we don't have to re-box for travel or waste so much packaging each time we order. The Yellow Godfather used to sell 8x10 and others in 10 sheet boxes as well as the larger quantities. Many of us bought it in the larger quantities after trying a 10 sheet box. For those who don't shoot much the 10 sheets were fine or a base number to try a new film. After you know what you like being able to buy in larger quantities makes sense. It is especially helpful when we travel. You should know as I know you don't just shoot off the back porch and load in the basement every few sheets.

Kodak is not listening to those of us who buy our film by the hundred+ sheets at a time and the bigger problem is that they really don't seem to care.
    OK Dan, just to set the record straight I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. I wish that we all could continue to acquire 50 sheet boxes of TMY2 like we did with TMY not that many years ago. Kodak made a decision when the new film came out that such an increase in price for this new emulsion would require a price point 1/5 less than the 50 sheet box so that they could get this emulsion in as many hands as possible to give them the best chance of selling as much as possible. A 50 sheet box was deemed to "expensive" for their marketing objectives or re-inventing themselves. Like you I could puke on the prospects of this brain trust decision - but such are the brain waves at work in Rochester.

I can only hope that after a sufficient period of maintaining the 10 sheet box Kodak can arrive at the conclusion that they have given all of the "test" market people plenty of time to try this film and that the die hard users would really appreciate the re-introduction of the 50 sheet box. I just requested a price for a 50 sheet box as a "special order" that would only require them to put 5 of their currently manufactured 10 sheet packets into one box and it was stupid expensive.

I have a number of old 50 sheet boxes in the basement and I will continue to load these up with the 10 sheet packets in the interim. All we can do is continue to ask and see if a lower stock price will soften up their attitude.