Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thinking of "stepping down"

Re: Thinking of "stepping down"

Keep your 8x10 outfit and take it where ever you are privileged to go. If you look at one of your contact prints under a 30x scope and then compare it to an enlarged 4x5, you will see degraded image quality in the enlargement. I believe the fovea can tell the difference. I'm beginning to believe the eye is stimulated by barely perceptible details and this is what makes LF BW such an effective illusion of reality.

Daniel,

I put my 4x5 on the shelf once I experienced working with an 8x10. The larger viewing screen is like watching a blu ray DVD, vs a VHS tape. If the weight is an issue then consider a jogging stroller to transport your gear. I picked up a Ritter 8x10 a couple years ago it weighs about 6.5lbs. With it, I could use a lighter tripod and lighter tripod head compared to the Zone VI 8x10 I had been using.

YMMV,
    John

PS can't wait to see some of your Iceland images.

For most landscape subjects, I prefer working with 4x5 over 8x10. Working with what you prefer is what's important.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've also considered a master tech for quite a while now. I shoot 4x5 (mostly architectural and urban landscapes) and have also considered 8x10 - but apart from the bulk it will take me some years to afford the glass I want and a Ritter.

But, having all this 5x7 talk in mind, have you considered a Linhof Technikardan 45/45S? It's about the same size and weight as the master tech, it's Linhof quality, it has much more versatile back movement allowing you to do diptychs in 8x5 (not really usable for portraits though... but anything that doesn't move) with for instance a SA120 f8, Sironar-S/W 150, Sironar-S210 and 240 to name a few... PLUS it goes for USD1500-2000 on ebay instead of closer to USD3000 for a good condition master tech.

cons: not built as tough as the tech and some people complain about the folding mechanism... but for me - the TK45S is the plan.

hey guys,

I've considered the Technikardan, but after using one(a friends), it wasn't really for me. Very nice and light, and with the extra-long bellows, it was very nice to use. But to me, it was too fiddly. The master tech just feels solid, and no-nonsense. Everything(for me and my hands) falls right into place. This for me is important, since I love to photograph people, and focusing/composing quickly and efficiently is of the utmost importance.

For right now, I have an SCX cambo 4x5 that I'll be using it until my KMV gets shipped back by M+P after their vehicles get returned from this trip. The SCX is the exact opposite of what I really want in a 4x5, but it just seems to work very well. And its extremely solid as well.

John: thanks, I'll be working to get my negs processed asap. If I feel that I can have a concise-enough body of work, I might decide to print a portfolio. Since I'm really new to 'fine' printing, it might take a while, but I think I'd like to do it. Iceland's been great so far, I'm spending this last week on a farm working(the farmer's daughter is quite good looking too ), that was my primary reason for coming here. But I've found that a small project (documentary style, 35mm) might be a possibility. I'll have to look at the film after I get home to see if its consistent enough for a portfolio itself. Who knows. I've barely shot just over 80 sheets of film(8x10), with some 4x5 as well, so not nearly the same as Ryan M.(200+ sheets supposedly). I can't understand how he got the time. Its just been "go,go,go" with M+P, to me. But then again, I don't just photograph TO PHOTOGRAPH. I like to wait for the right light, if possible. But generally M+P are photographing at that time anyhow. And only having really (1) 8x10 lens (360/620 convertible symmar) is very limiting, to say the least....

-Dan

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    A couple of times over the years I bought an 8x10, and then went back to 4x5. Personally I just didn't love the hassle of the larger camera and was satisfied with the quality of 4x5.
    I'm in the same position as Kirk. Although I'm only a hobby photographer and don't plan to ever go beyond that... I started with 4x5-inch photography in the late 1980s. At that time I also bought a beat-up old 8x10 field camera and shot a few boxes of Fujichromes. One taken in Chicago attached.

Given the hassle of carrying it around and setting it up I quickly back-tracked and stuck with 4x5-inch since then. The old 8x10 was sold or given away at the time... I really don't recall.

But I did keep the few film holders and lenses that went with the kit and my intention is to again (some day) dabble in 8x10, just a bit, once again. I admit: the transparencies are indeed a beautiful sight to behold.

Until then 4x5 and medium format will continue to be my primary hobby tools as my 3-backpacks are already full and I only have 1 aging back (and no pack animals) for carrying stuff.

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.