Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good alternative to Blurb???

Re: Any good alternative to Blurb???

They look pretty good although I see they use a Xerox toner-based printer and they want you to buy a minimum of five books, so the cost of entry starts at $380....

Frank, I was skeptical about the laser printer too... All I can say is, get the test prints. The output is amazing.

This isn't the place for one-offs like wedding books or portfolios, but it's a good deal if you're actually printing some books -- and it gets much, much cheaper than Blurb or Lulu depending on the volume...

Earlier this year, a group of friends and I took on a project to photograph Colonel Allensworth State Park here in California. Long story short, we ended up with a book layout of 48 pages, and chose to have Blurb print the softcover edition, and A and I print the softcover edition. Both books were nominally of the same size, and we printed 10 copies of each. Although both companies offered software, we laid out the book in Photoshop, and then transferred the data to their respective software programs. The Blurb (softcover) was approximately $29 per copy, including shipping, and the A and I (hardcover) was approximately $60 per copy (no shipping cost). I can't say that the A & I was necessarily twice as good (although the printing was better), though I did very much appreciate the fact the A and I caught a typo in the book, and telephoned me about the typo before printing, while I never got a call from Blurb. Hope this helps.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

This is great information, thanks for everyone valuable input, you guys are the best!

Robert