Hi,

I want to share my experiences with the Dainippon Screen DTS 1030 AI drum scanner.

It's a "desktop" drum scanner from the first half of 90s; has a maximum resolution of 5200 DPI and can scan up to 10x12".
It can be found for reasonable prices; a few hundred dollars in good working conditions. Even as low as $300.
Its main limitation is the 8-bit-per-channel output format, but this is not so great a problem with chromes.

Getting this scanner to work has been hard, for various reasons.
So I'm writing here hoping to help some other guy.

This is a SCSI scanner, and must be driven by a Mac, since there is no working Windows software for it.
Vuescan or Silverfast won't support this model.

The DTS Scan application is a 68K binary born under System 7.
It is possible to run it using a PowerMac G3 and OS 9.2, with some care.
Classic mode of OS X won't work.

1) The most important thing: you have to DISABLE Virtual Memory, or DTS Scan will hang shortly after the scan begins, freezing the whole Mac in the process.

2) Then: the DTS Scan app version must match the scanner firmware version.
So to run the latest version of DTS Scan (v. 3.41) you'll need firmware CU version 3.40 (3.41 is OK with 3.40. No fw v.3.41 exists).

I was driving mad because of the Virtual Memory issues: I tried everything (SCSI driver, terminators, cables, IDs, OS versions) because I really could not relate the freezing to virtual memory being enabled.

A note: this scanner can be picky about SCSI adapters.
I had no issues with the Adaptec 2906 PCI card; it's also OK the built-in SCSI port of Beige Powermac G3.
Since the max. transfer rate of the scanner is 2 MB/s, you really don't need a fancy SCSI adapter.
You also don't need a fast CPU, nor lots of memory: the scan application uses RAM only as a buffer, since it directly writes to hard disk during scanning.

Hope this helps.

Fernando