Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, everybody! Trondheim, Norway

Hello, everybody! Trondheim, Norway

Tormod here, from Trondheim.
    I'm in my 40s, and I'm one of those eager amateurs, you know...

My history with photography has been a mixed bag of being a really bad 35mm photographer with fair b/w darkroom skills and OK technical understanding in the 80s, putting it all behind me through the 90s, and getting progressively more expensive digital gear in the 00s until I suddenly found myself dunking tri-x in Rodinal again and felt so much at home that I sold off all the D stuff and stocked up on real gear...

A range of Nikons was expanded with a Hasselblad 501, then my good photographer friend who's gone 100% digital decided to unload some old equipment on me, and all of a sudden I was the proud owner and obsessive user of a Fuji GX680.

As if that wasn't enough, she sent me a big box of expired film, and a few weeks later she called and asked if I wanted to take over her Sinar!

So now I can never, EVER, blame the equipment for a bad photo.

I'm very new to the Sinar, and have developed less than ten sheets so far. Among those ten were no less than THREE Velvia sheets that I got mixed up with the efke 25 sheets (hey, Efke 25 and Velvia have VERY similar notches, and my LF braille isn't quite there yet...), but I AM getting results, and I am having FUN!

So I thought I'd join your community, hoping to be able to get better at this fine pursuit by osmosis if nothing else.

This would be an example of where I'm at now, scanned at 2400 on a canoscan 8800, two partial scans stitched together.

(aargh. I just opened the tank, and found that I've developed two unexposed sheets. I need to upgrade my concentration and order. This will become expensive...)

Look forward to learning from you all!

T

Re: Hello, everybody! Trondheim, Norway

Well, I've done dumber things than that, several times... (maybe we all have)

Lovely photo. Welcome to the forum.

Tim

Welcome to group therepy! Like all photographers, you will make mistakes...its just part of the game. Have you pulled the darkslide with the lens open yet? Pulled out the film holder before replacing the slide? Held your hat into the picture instead of just shading the lens? See, you're just starting to find out what you can do wrong!

Group therapy, indeed...

Hey, Processing Velvia50 in Rodinal as efke 25 didn't turn out too bad, so I'm chalking that up as a partial success...

Velkommen skal du være Tormod!

This forum is really great for all kinds of questions. It has been my place for learning and problem solving. THe "For sale" section is very good too.
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for showing us a new way to use Velvia!

Takk, takk, thanks a lot and you're welcome, Charles!
    I've already exposed a couple more Velvia sheets that will get intentional Rodinal treatment...

MF/LF Newbie

Hei Tormod, fint sted å fordrive tiden dette. Ser du har fått resultater allerede.

I´m even more of a novice with this sort of photography than you are, so I won´t be giving you advice on anything. There are however some vastly knowledgeable people here, so there´s a lot of knowhow being shared. LF images have a particular intrinsic quality, don´t they? Oh, and I like your results already.
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie

Novice?
    I've seen your home made hand held, mate...

welcome. I like both photos. How difficult it is to stitch the 2 scans into one? will there be uneven light areas at where the 2 scans met?