Thread: Bag Bellows (Newbie Question)

Bag Bellows (Newbie Question)

Hi. I am just beginning in large format photography and am about to purchase a bellows. I have a 150mm lens and was wondering if a bag bellows would work fine with it.

Thanks.

Assuming you are using 45 a bag bellows should not be needed for a 150mm lens.

The bag bellows should work with subjects 6 feet away with the 150mm lens, assuming 4x5 format and that the particular make of bellows will allow at least 150mm of extension, but for closer-up work you will need the longer draw of a regular bellows. I reserve the bag bellows for shorter lenses.

You don't *need* a bag bellows for a 150mm lens. It's a normal lens and will work fine with a standard bellows.

On the other hand, I use a bag bellows for most of my shooting since I mostly shoot with wide to normal lenses (65mm - 210mm). Beyond that I have to go to a longer bellows. Not all bag bellows fuction identically, so your equipment may not offer the same flexibility. It's best to test if possible before you buy it.

In any case, the answer to your question is yes.

Enriko, you need to be more specific with the information you furnished in your question. If you are using an 8x10 camera with a 150 mm wide angle lens, a normal bellows would be so compressed as to make the front standard movements difficult. Then, yes, you would need a wide angle bag bellows in that case. On the other hand, if you are using a 150mm lens on a 4x5 camera, a bag bellows can be used with the 150, but you would be limiting your ability to focus closer than six, or seven feet in front of the camera. I use a bag bellows on my 4x5 for my 75mm and 90mm wide angle lenses because of the compression of the standard bellows.With the bag bellows,I have more capability of movements, like rise and tilt , on the lens standard.

It depends on the camera and the specific 150mm lens. I have an old Fuji W 150 which I use on a Technikardan and it sometimes needs a bag bellows if I use too much rise.
    John Hennessy