Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

gentlemen and ladies - i have finally succeeded at creating a virtual lens for e xtreme wide-angle LF photographic purposes, and it is astounding. through selec tive use of new polymer-titalium, and IC technologies, i have generated a "lens" which has the appearance of an extremely thin sheet of glass. the same technol ogy which is used in the manufacture of eyeglasses which darken into sunglasses when exposed to sunlight is incorporated into the virtual lens and acts as the " shutter" - exposure times and aperture settings are via the computer chip embedd ed in the fabric of the lens. due to the extremely thin nature of the product, it is capable of recreating a focal lengths the equivalent of approximately 2mm, wherein the virtual lens is essentially mounted directly on the surface of the sheet of film, and can be manufactured at any size required up to about 20x24". it is the perfect solution for all landscape and architectural photographers wh o need extreme wide angle coverage. one small problem has surfaced however - i tested the lens at its nominal focal length (2mm) doing a photograph of a 90-sto ry office building approximately 5 feet in front of me, and when viewing the res ult, i could barely make the building out on the horizon... :-)

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

But from your description, you should finally have achieved something which has long been pursued - the ability to photograph what lies behind the camera.

You might try holding your camera right up to the building. There should be enough light leakage to expose the film, and at that sort of distance, you should have a large enough of the building on the film.

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

OY VEY!

With that I could take a shot of my own balding head.

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

I second that Oy Vey from Steve and add a Texas yee haaaaaa! At last, a lens with virtually no DOF tables, either ;-) Paul

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Paul,

From Oy Vey I understand. What language is yeea haaaaa? Maybe Texakan?

S.

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Wow, what a great product! I think I want one, but I have a few questions first: Will I need a bag bellows or recessed lens board? What about a center filter? When the major manufacturers steal your patent, will the lens be sharper as a Schneider, Rodenstock or Fuji CMW? What size filters does it take? Will it fit my new Shen Hao? Will there be a digital version? Please respnd as soon as possible because I am leaving soon to spend a few days in Utah and I am hoping to get a picture of Delicate Arch that encompasses the Arch, the Dura Log stains and about 56 galaxies. Thanks!

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Advantages: no UV filter is needed, as the subject is only feet away. Someday our Quickloads will some with diposable lenses, no cleaning needed. Breathing on the lens with affect your tilt calculations.

Disadvantages: if your film is not flat, you damage the rear "element." You can't use a tripod - unless you want a portrait of your bald head AND your tripod. Your strobe head must be located at the lens nodal point to prevent the the lens barrel from casting a shadow.

Odds & Ends: Whatever it is, I sure Grimes can fix it. The "lens matrix" could virtually control local contrast. I need a new vocabulary for this lens.

Steve: yeeee haaaaaaa -- that's "Tex-ish" ;-)Paul

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Digital backs didn't do it...but this contraption sure did!!!

Now all you have to do is carry a bunch of billboard size film holders around and "drop" a virtual lens in the center of each plate...and everything is sharp - from here 'til Kingdom come...

The only problem: The cost of buying enough Platinum to cover a Billboard size paper for contact printing...???

(Of course you'd use a "virtual " contact frame for this as well...)

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Steve, Yeee Haaaa! is part of the verbiage of "Horse People", they speak an entirely language than the rest of us...Steve

Virtual Wide Angle Lens

Yee haw! Is Texan for Jihad.<G>