Thread: Traveling Pony Photographers

Traveling Pony Photographers

Hello!

I am in the process of researching an ongoing project for my website about itinerant photography -- specifically, the itinerant photographers who traveled door to door in the 50s and 60s in the US, taking children's photos, often dressed in accompanying cowboy and cowgirl costumes. I'm primarily interested in discovering the identity and history of the photographers themselves, and also any pictures of the pony photographers themselves that may exist. If anyone has any leads or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Re: Traveling Pony Photographers

I've got a picture of myself as a wee lad on a Shetland. I remember the guy came around with a speed graphic and this pony. He talked to my mom and the rest, as they say, is history. I can't add any more to that except it is something I've always wanted to try---not as an itinerant but maybe at a old age home, taking pictures of seniors with thier great (mayber great-great) grandchildren aboard ol' dobbin (the kids, not the seniors!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I grew up in Woodstock Ontario, and we have the pony pictures as well, in our case no cowboy outfits. dammmm
    1957-8

Octogenarian

Those photographers were referred to as "KID NAPPERS" when I was growing up in Detroit, Mich.

As a child, I remember them going door-to-door in my neighborhood. An assistant would hold a pony at curbside while the photographer made his presentation to our mothers at the front door. Us kids went out to the street to pet the pony.

Then, we begged mom to let us have our picture taken just so we could sit on the pony's back.

Years later, while visiting Nogales Mexico, I saw a street photographer taking souvenir pictures with an instant camera. He posed people on the back of a cute little burro wearing a sombrero and a serape that he would attempt to sell to his customers after the shoot.

Modern-day photo photos with grandparents and grandchildren is a great idea! If any of you have these old photos and want to share them with my readers (www.historicalhorse.com) I would love to have them. Still on the hunt for any info about the pony photographers themselves...

I see this was posted some time ago...however, there is a website "www.bayside-studio.com" that continues to offer child on a pony photos in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    I have tried your website but can not connect. Are you working on this project, still?

San Pablo CA 1972, there was still one active in the Bay area..

San Pablo, CA 1972. This would be DeVaux Studio on San Pablo Ave., St. John's.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Does this count? This is my father holding one of our miniature ponies and my son Connor posing. This is my 'Homage to Leibovitz'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connoronpony.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	100062