Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Time Capsule Reliability

Re: Apple Time Capsule Reliability

I got rid of Time Machine and now use SuperDuper!.

I schedule a regular backup overnight, and it works flawlessly.

It will wake up the computer from deep sleep, do its thing, and put the computer back to sleep. Unlike TimeMachine, it will back up your email and other personal files - whatever you want, whenever you want. I can't recommend it more highly.

The feller who writes it, is a relative of our own John Nanian - another good reason to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

It will wake up the computer from deep sleep, do its thing, and put the computer back to sleep. Unlike TimeMachine, it will back up your email and other personal files - whatever you want, whenever you want. I can't recommend it more highly.

The feller who writes it, is a relative of our own John Nanian - another good reason to consider it.
    Sounds promising, BUT have you ever had to utilize the copy when your hard drive failed? That's where the rubber meets the road. I currently use Mozy and Time Machine, but have no reason to trust either one. The question I am trying to get at is which software REALLY works when you need to utilize the backup.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hi Ken,

I use super Duper to make mirrored copies of 1 Terra Lacie drives.
    Recently, it ejected one disk and copied everything to my hard drive, filled my a machine, but worse, the drive it ejected during the copy seems to be DOA.
    Have you every had it spit out a drive mid backup?
    How did you deal with it if you have?

Thank you.

Frank,

I use time Machine to a separate firewire drive, flawlessly.
    I have never tried the wireless or ethernet, I just pop in the portable 1T drive and it sees the drive and makes a back up. But I have to choose when by plugging the drive in, it does the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Sounds promising, BUT have you ever had to utilize the copy when your hard drive failed? That's where the rubber meets the road. I currently use Mozy and Time Machine, but have no reason to trust either one. The question I am trying to get at is which software REALLY works when you need to utilize the backup.
    a few months ago, i had to remove and replace 4 drives out of the mac tower my wife is using.
    there were 2 dead drives in there, and then the remaining 2 live-drives failed ... at the same time ... i installed new drives used superduper to restore ...and it worked perfectly.

i wish it worked with a network drive ..
    we have a myworldbook tb drive with thousands of images on it, and unfortunately have
    to manually back things up onto it, and then back it up, it is a real PITA.

john

I've done a little research and experimenting with the Airport Extreme we have, connecting an external hard drive to it via USB. While it mounts and is a perfectly good network hard drive, deep within Apple's support documentation I found that Time Machine will specifically not work with hard drives connected via the Airport Extreme.

While I don't know all the issues, it seems as though it should work except that Apple has crippled this capability out of the Airport Extreme so as to drive people towards buying the more expensive Time Capsule combination hard drives and WiFi routers.

OK, I can swing a Time Capsule except the more I read up on them the more skitterish I become. Not only is recovery not 100% guaranteed, but if the drive goes it's a $500 paperweight, versus $250 or so for the same size external hard drive.

I could probably also cobble something together with a Linksys router and external hard drives. Or get a NAS drive that uses Ethernet.

But in the end, I think I'm just going to get an inexpensive USB-powered portable HD for the kids to pass around and back up manually. It will teach them a lesson if they loose a little work and they aren't doing anything all that precious anyway.

And I will continue to maintain manual back-ups to multiple FireWire HDs located on and off site, the old-fashioned way.

I'm not a fan of online storage for the big stuff. I was with Photo Shelter for a year, a very enthusiastic participant until their business model for stock photography failed and they shut it down with only two weeks warning. I fear that these sorts of operations will do the same sort of thing when they run into hard times, and given the time it would take to move a TB over the internet, recovery or migration would not be a pretty thing (people would FedEx drives to the company directly sometimes, saved a lot of time).

It does make sense to throw your core portfolio up onto your webhost server though. I am doing that, with password protection, for about 250 images and a few key documents. But that's just normal FTP to my host.

Thanks. Saved me a few hundred bucks. Have a drink on me tonight. Virtually of course.

Frank, we have a generic drive attached to an Airport Extreme for Time Machine backups and it works well. I do test restores and file comparisons from time to time and have not turned up any gotchas in the eighteen months the system has been up and running.

The 'unreliability' seems to boil down to two things. 1) there is network and driver latency, so data may be lost if there's a power cut or other glitch between a computer sending the data and it being written to disk. 2) Time machine doesn't seem to do a full read-back-and-verify cycle for the files it has backed up. Using a USB-attached hard disk will get round the first problem, but not the second.

There is a lot of arcane lore on the web from when the airport extreme first came out, involving Unix commands and sparsebundle creation to get an external disk to work. My technique is to do the initial TM backup with the disk attached to the laptop directly (it's much faster anyway), then to connect it to the Airport Extreme for incremental backups over the network. You just have to tell TM on the laptop where the disk has gone to and it will happily use it.

Time machine is great for regular backups throughout the working day. It's so convenient and easy that it actually happens, and in backup that is 90% of the battle. The only thing I hate about it is that it won't maintain more than one database, so you can't have, say, two disks in rotating use with one kept offsite. I solve that problem, and my paranoia about data safety, by periodically saving whole-disk snapshots onto removable disks which are stashed elsewhere.

Thanks. For my test Time Machine gave me a warning that it could not use the Airport Extreme Networked Disc so that is not consistent with what you're saying, I shall give it another try. And it was the same drive I've used for Time Machine with a direct FireWire connection.

Perhaps there is some different way of mounting a networked disc? I'll have to look into that.

How do you make a whole-disc snapshot?

There may be machine and system dependencies. In my case I was all ready to put on my nerdy hat and start typing commands into Terminal, but things just worked, so I didn't :-)

I did have to manually mount the networked disk on the desktop the first time, but after that Time Machine mounts it as needed. I also have the TM backup(s) on a separate partition, and use the other partition for music etc.

For snapshot copies I use SuperDuper. Others swear by Carbon Copy Cloner. Both seem to work well. On machines still running 10.4 I use RsyncX, which leverages the built in Unix backup, rsync, but you're getting into hackerland there, especially if you want to do it over a network.