Page 217 of 329 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 3285

Thread: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Re: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

16" Visual quality, $4550 (BIN 371005701005).

Very nice one ... and one more serial number for my list

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    16" Visual quality, $4550 (BIN 371005701005).

The Dallmeyer 5D, which raised doubts here a couple of weeks ago, has been relisted.

Still no lister admission it is incomplete, but it starts at 1 Euro.

A couple of rare Frenchies to-night.

Both sold as "no name" after Darlot was closed and the buyer didn't want to continue the two in their offerings.

De Pulligny anachromatigue adjustable landscape lens. Chipped front meniscus - both irises OK. 360856045909. 307 euros.

Puyo Objectif d'Artiste anachromatique complete Trousse set ( the large size) devided into 2 listings.

121271994957 had the barrels and the two standard lenses and a full set of WHS. 307 euros (again!).
    121271996092 had the 2 extra lenses and the brass lens hood. 143.99 euros. The odd figure is due to my odd bid of 142.99!

The Trousse set looked good.

The winner must have been nervous about getting both - which I think he did.
    This is the bayonet type. I think it is exactly the same production batch as the one I have.

I saw all of those lenses but did not recognize what they were!

The first two listings were quite easy:

- double iris at these positions mean anachromatique landscape.
    - the bulge in the internal barrel is a characteristice of the trousse set and the engravings in and around the WHS stop are typical of late O d'A.

The third one is trickey, but I have posted a photo here of what the "T" on the extra lenses looks like.
    Many O d'A had the bayonet feature instead of threads.

Of course, it is a guess that listings 2 & 3 are part and parcel of the same Casket set. But what are the chances of them not making up a a complete set when the same seller has both listed on the same day?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

"*Very Rare* Dallmeyer Bergheim No. 1 Soft Focus Brass Petzval Lens for 8x10?" sold for $1250. (ebay 301073408354)

The small size, won't cover 8x10 and isn't a Petzval, but still a historically important soft focus lens. Missing the front aperture mechanism, but otherwise looked to be in pretty good shape.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have always imagined that the Bergheim is basically no different from De Pulligny (+ & - simple meniscus) or the alternative Puyo combination in the Casket set ( also + & - meniscus)? I suppose experiments in telelenses got these started simultaneously in England and France?
    They must have been cheap to make, too.

It should be easy for the buyer of the Bergheim to adapt a regular lens hood into an water house stops hood. Does anyway know how far in front of the lens the aperture should be? Is the aperture even required on the Bergheim? It sounds like the lens produced an image with it on the ground glass with out it.

I've always wanted to see an example of the bergheim and la'adjustable landscape lens at infinity. I find it interesting that they achieve softness at smaller apertures. When I think about a soft focus lens I think about two lenses they part that makes up the inner core and the part after the "breaking point" where aberrations are introduced to cause the light to go out of focus and create that glow. Many of the soft focus portrait lenses the lens sharpens up at F/8, a common "breaking point" so the lens lens might be an F4.5 but the DOF of the inner core will be roughly an ~F/8. F/8 is of course great for portraiture and other close ups (still lifes), at this aperture it gives good depth but also good separation. Also at 1:1 the F/8 becomes an F/16 so it is wide enough for diffraction to not be an issue.

On the other hand the Bergheim is an F/9 that is said to sharpen at F/27 (1/3 aperture diameter), so I would think it would make for a great lens to shoot things that are further away like landscapes, city-scapes, groups of people, ect. It has more then 3 stops of softness instead of 2 so the focus effect should be pretty strong at some points of the long band of focus. Close up I would not expect to much sharpness in the inner core as diffraction will come into play. Soft focus lenses are very limited in this regard it is best to use the aperture to control softness so the DOF properties need to be built into the lens design.

I find it interesting that the No 1 size is an F/9 at 20"s but this one goes to 16" where it would be an F7.2, the other sizes of Bergheim are an F/8 or F/9 at the shortest focal length but are closer to an F/15 at full extension. At 16" the inner core on the no 1 size should be roughly at F/22. I could see how it could fill a space in ones smaller format kit. I think it would be fun to play with a no 1 on a 4x5 or 5x7 camera and because of its tele-photo design it will only require 8"-15" of extension. Longer focal length soft focus lenses tend to be extremely expensive, large, and heavy.

Again I wish there were more examples from la'adjustable and the Bergheim.

I have never observed diffraction to be a concern for soft focus, (pinholes aside).