Page 311 of 329 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 3285

Thread: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Re: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Dallmeyer Mutac 9 inch, without flange, €390

We definitely have a problem with the real sale price of listed items which use the "BIN or best offer" method. When a purchase has been made, the item is listed as sold with the original BIN price given. I have recently bought a little gem (Not a gem lens, though!) through "Best offer" which was accepted. There is no sign this was a "Best offer" and the original BIN price is still there in the completed listing? There was almost a 20% reduction on the BIN price.

Later:
    A BIN reduced to "best offer" can still be identified by looking at the seller's feedback list, but still without the actual price.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 26-Jun-2017 at 15:05.

There are often 30-40% or more reductions on BIN auctions. Of course there are also a few less than scrupulous on this forum who post things less than accurate to help their sales on the auction site.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by brandon13 View Post
    There are often 30-40% or more reductions on BIN auctions.
    Sounds about right for most BINs. I have rarely accepted an offer, or had someone else accept my offer, of a greater than about 35% reduction. Camera stores and professional dealers seem to top out closer to about 15%, some occasional sellers might go down 50%.

T,T & H. Cooke Achromatic Portrait (rebranding of RV and RVP). Full Plate and EFL 15.2". 122567833156.

With extension tube for small format! Iris OK but hard to evaluate lens. Less than average "finish". Perfect item title, which helped!

1058 usd.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    T,T & H. Cooke Achromatic Portrait (rebranding of RV and RVP). Full Plate and EFL 15.2". 122567833156.

With extension tube for small format! Iris OK but hard to evaluate lens. Less than average "finish". Perfect item title, which helped!

1058 usd.
    I picked that one up. Owner told me she received quite a few requests to sell the lens for few hundred and end the auction. Finish is indeed less than average but I always wanted to shoot with the lens after seeing the RV and RVP images of some of our members here.

Rudi A.

I am afraid the "pestering" of listers is a common problem! I was in correspondence with a lister of a Hermagis Convertible very recently (about serial number data and focal length). A perfect listing but still lots of persistant "take it off your hands now" brigade. This was probably because this was just number 2 listing by the person, but fortunately her husband had a lot more sales under his belt.

I can't remember seeing the Achromatic on the bay before.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I picked that one up. Owner told me she received quite a few requests to sell the lens for few hundred and end the auction.
    Congrats, Rudi! It should be a fine using lens, and may clean up nicer than you'd hope.

Steven is right; I've had sellers make the same comment to me regarding lenses I've bought recently, (including the 18-inch version of your new lens which I mentioned here just a couple of pages back). One of the problems with sniping is that with no bids until the closing seconds, the seller may think they've priced the lens too high and be more open to sell low to one of the "sharks". There are people, including at least one member here, who'll convince them a very expensive lens is worth very little, but they'll "take it off their hands" for a fraction of its worth. When I see a lens I'm interested in, I put in an early bid so the seller is less likely to cave to a cheap "buy it now" offer, or even send them a message asking them to let the auction run its course.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    ............When I see a lens I'm interested in, I put in an early bid so the seller is less likely to cave to a cheap "buy it now" offer, or even send them a message asking them to let the auction run its course.
    I did, in fact, make the first bid on the Hermagis I mentioned. There were just 2 days left and just hours later a bidding war started between two with the starting price tripling in just a day. They both lost to a third sniper at the end.

I don't think this can be considered to be interferring with market forces, although I had no intention of following my bid up. I had previous correspondence with the lister(s) and they were very helpful (As Mr. T would say "nice, nice people"), but there was no collusion.