Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calumet C-1, any weak spot?

Calumet C-1, any weak spot?

Looking for a bigger format for contact printing, and with the idea in mind that "fewer, but bigger" reversal film pictures is not a bad thing at all, i have decided to buy my first 8x10 camera some time ago.
    Unfortunately the project of adapting a Sinar/Copal shutter, and fixing a few smaller things, on my De Vere behemoth, is taking too long, so i realized that buying another cheap camera for outdoor use would be a nice idea. Doing so would also allow me to shoot some of the expired film i recently purchased before the winter comes!
    Some of the films are color, and were kept refrigerated for a long time. Now i have no place for them in my frigidaire, so i think that shooting them soon would be better.
    After some reading online, and after i watched a nice video about it on an italian LF site, i realized that one of the best options (within my budget) for outdoor shooting would be a Calumet C-1. In reality, i tried to acquire a Kodak 2D at first. Not so many movements, but it had the extension rail and was in very nice condition, with like-new red bellows, all the metal parts in good shape. Even the wood frame was in above-average conditions. Unfortunately i didn't win the auction, somebody else won by a very small margin
    Unfortunately Deardorffs get sold for too much for my taste (and for my wallet), and most of the wooden cameras with extension rail, and front tilt and swing, aren't very cheap either. An additional problem for EU bidders like me, is to have to pay from 80 to 120 dollars for the cheapest trackable shipment option. That's why i settled for a 2D, it was nice and came from UK (not taxes and cheaper shipment).
    Unfortunately i lost that bid, and after some further searching, i found a Calumet C-1, from a french ebayer.
    The starting price was 250 euros, and no taxes to pay. So i decided that if nobody was willing to buy for more, i'd buy it for the starting price. So i did, even if the shipment was another 50 euros at least.
    Strangely nobody else was interested, and i eventually won. A total of 300 euros for a Calumet C-1, not a present, not a bad deal either.
    The camera is in black, so it's in aluminium, not magnesium. I'd be happier with a green one, cause the magnesium-made camera is still heavier than most wooden field cameras, but i wasn't given that choice, so i'll have to carry a weight that should be around 50% more.
    The C-1 looks quite scratched in the black parts, but it looks not so beaten-up, and the owner assured that every part is still there (no missing knobs) and that every movement works the way it should. The camera is said to have no "play" on the extension rails, and it comes with two lensboards.

That's all i know, as i still have to get it.
    Any general advice is welcome, but i am specifically asking if the camera has some weak spot, something to look for when i get it.
    What i know already is that it allows for a lot of bellows extension, something good for close focusing with my long process lenses. Another thing i have read is that it's not very easy to use with wide-angles, because the focusing must be done only with the rear standard, and when it gets too far forward, the rear rail stands in the way.
    From what i understand, it's not possible to avoid extending the back rail. If there is a way, or if there is some kind of setting that's not so easy to find out, please let me know.
    I understand that the C-1 it's not the first choice for working with wide-angles (something i like to do), and that it doesn't fold as neatly as a clamshell-shaped wooden camera, but even with its substantial weight it's still a lot easier to carry than my De Vere!
    Unfortunately the british camera has a one-piece rail, very heavy and very bulky, and the only way to carry it, is in a trunk of a car (disassembled, because if you want to carry it in a ready-to-shoot state, you should find first an extra-size case, probably only a custom made one would do).
    In the end, the more i think about my new purchase, the more i think that there are good chances that i will eventually be satisfied with my new camera.
    If i will not enjoy it very much, there are good chances that i will get back what i payed, or at least have a minor loss.
    What makes me mad is that i am going to have another kind of lensboards
    I have already some lenses that are still on Technika III boards, but most have already migrated to Technika IV "standard" lensboards, that are easy match for my Kardan 4x5 (the Bi-System came with the adapter). I am also making a similar adapter for the De Vere, as i have many De Vere/Sinar boards, and the ugliest is going to be "customized" in a way that reminds the Tech IV > Kardan adapter.
    The Bi even had another home-made adapter, so the boards of my old Fatif 13x18 can be placed on the Linhof... at least until each and every lens will be on Tech IV boards.
    Now i will also have a Deardorff-type, and that it's happening at the same time i am starting to experience the advantages of simplification: i have decided for big barrel lenses on Sinar boards, fine-tuned to be as close as possible to the Sinar shutter, and lenses in-shutter fitted to standard Linhof-Wista boards.
    I suppose that the best way out would be to sacrifice one of the two boards that will come with the C-1, and have it transformed in a Linhof-Wista adapter.
    That would not solve the problem with the big glasses. The nice thing about Kardan lensboards is that they are so big that any other kind of boards can be adapted, but Sinar's and Calumet-Deardorff's look very close dimensionally, so i guess that a Sinar > Deardorff wouldn't be so easy to make, with the possibility that they would be too close dimensionally to allow for an adapter (at least with my limited technical resources).
    Maybe i am wrong, so i am asking for any advice, including plain old common sense.
    To put it simply, any kind of suggestion, expecially by C-1 present/past owners, is more than welcome. ANY thing that comes to your mind, not only about the few subjects i have mentioned.
    I am sure it would be of great interest for many, either would-be owners, or simply those that are trying to understand which second-hand 8x10" camera would suit their needs.

have fun

CJ

Re: Calumet C-1, any weak spot?

The Calumet C-1 is a camera for serious photographers, those who prefer making images to those who talk shop. Brett Weston used one for years and some of his best images were made with that camera.

It is not fancy,typical of Calumet design, and it is heavier than some brands. However, it is a practical camera with good movements. I have mine adapted with a Sinar/Copal shutter and wooden lensboards that I made for my barrel lenses. All of my lenses for this camera are in barrel.

I think you will find the C-1 to perform well. Have fun!

I too have one, I asked Kim Weston about his camera and it is indeed Brett Weston's camera, his wife told me as I recall.

The camera is not a light weight but it has all the features a person could want in a view camera. For Yousuf karsh it was his favorite camera.

http://www.karsh.org/#

I make my own lensboards for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I have mine adapted with a Sinar/Copal shutter and wooden lensboards that I made for my barrel lenses. All of my lenses for this camera are in barrel.
    Thanks for your reply.
    If you have the chance to take a picture of the adapter you made, i could find some inspiration.
    My Sinar shutter got damaged during shipment, and got stuck after i tried to operate it.
    I will have it checked, in the meantime is back to work, as i could fix it in a very simple way.
    For the adaptation on my De Vere Multipurpose 8x10 (early seventies), i found out that the shutter to lensboard distance is not exaclty the same as in Sinar cameras, and that if the shutter is mounted with a rotation of 90 degrees, the bellows frame could be machined in a way that should allow to fit it to the Sinar shutter.
    I brought to the machinist a beaten-up bag bellows as a test, if it works well i will have the same work done to the standard bellows.
    It would be perfect to be able to adapt the Sinar/Copal to the C-1 as well, but i must find a "removable" solution, that would allow to use the same shutter on both cameras. That's why i would be very interested on the adapter you devised.
    I don't have a Packard, and i am not keen on buying one cause i think that they are selling for too much lately. A Thornton-Pickard "curtain" shutter could be found for a more competitive price here in EU, if you're lucky, but those i have seen have a "hole" of reduced diameter, and are more a collector's than a user's item.
    There are other options, for example a Silens shutter, that is somewhat easier to find, at least in Italy, but the example i have at home is quite big, and i am afraid that it would be impossible to fit it behind the lens.
    All in all, if there is way to conveniently adapt the Sinar/Copal, it could be THE solution. The sad thing is that it could well be bejond my technical capabilities, if the adapter is not quite simple.

thanks again

CJ

CJ, I slightly modified the Calumet lensboard and attached the Sinar/Copal shutter directly to that board. So,the shutter is not interchangeable with another camera. I should also mention, that I disabeled the function of the shutter to operate from the groundglass side, as the shutter was originally designed to function. In otherwords, I set the shutter speed and the lens manually. The Sinar/Copal took the place of a Packard shutter that I had used for years on my other 8x10's. It, as you probably know, is very accurate and I prefer it to the Packard.

I also had the black version of the C-1....

In my opinion, they are well built, and the controls lock tight, friction based - large lenses are not a problem for the C-1, and the lens boards are often found cast, my sturdiest tripods looked small under the C-1.

The weakest points - beyond the weight, were the plastic knobs for locking controls (they are four sided and can easily be broken usually one of the four ears).....and the rear extension rail (which slides out) was not as sturdy as one would expect (based on the construction of the main portion of the body) ...

I have since sold mine and reduced to 5x7 2D's....and 4x5 monorails....

All in all, the C-1 is a very good 8x10 for the price, and I would purchase another if I weren't content with 4x5 and 5x7...

Thanks,
    Dan

I recently purchased a green monster for evaluation. It looks as though a 6 1/2 or perhaps even 7 inch Packard can be mounted inside the camera on the verso of the front bulkhead quite easily.

That solves a couple of problems. #1, a shutter is waiting for any lens you cobble up front. #2 the black felt on the front of the sutter is a nice light seal, and you can make wooden lens boards easily then.

The only drawback seen compared to my venerable war horse 2D is that the Kodak has perhaps 1/4" of wiggle room between the Packard and the back of the lens board that I always seem to be using, ie. the rear of the lens can stick in past the lens board up to 1/4 inch. It looks as though they'll have to be pretty flush with the Green Monster. I plan to put some giants on the front like Dallmeyer 4A and Cooke 18" Series II Knuckler and maybe even the 405mm Kodak Portrait that the 2D cannot do. Trying to get a few more lenses out of the studio and into the field. We shall see. Anybody got a 7" Packard in decent shape?

Hi Cyberjunkie,

At risk of have a strong bias, I was one of the creators of the C1 camera and we designed it as a magnesium camera, came in about about 13 1/2 lbs. In aluminum version it was a bit over 20 lbs. We created the lensboard to be identical to the Deardorff board, my friend the late Jack Deardorff gave me that information. It is the smothest focusing LF camera ever, has a maximum of 35" bellows draw, with recessed adapter and super recessed board it can focus to infinity with a 90mm lens. A reversible 5x7 back and a 360 degree 4x5 back were available. Calumet went to aluminum which we hated because certain federal entities felt that machining magnesium could be dangerous (it could be unless you know how to do it, which Ben Booko did).

Regarding the fact that Brett Weston used it, that is true. Brett and I were friends from the early 1960's until his death, in fact my youngest son was named Brett after him. I gave him the camera with all the accessories and a full set of Caltar (US made) lenses for test, he loved the system and so I gave him a "No Charge" invoice.

Bill Ryan, me (Lynn Jones), Ben Booko, and owner, Ken Becker created the camera in 1965 for release in 1966.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    Calumet went to aluminum which we hated because certain federal entities felt that machining magnesium could be dangerous.
    Yep, I've seen the aftermath of machining an Apache helicopter tailrotor gearbox when the coolant supply stopped

Lynn, which model came in magnesium: the black or the green version?
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    Hi Cyberjunkie,

At risk of have a strong bias, I was one of the creators of the C1 camera and we designed it as a magnesium camera, came in about about 13 1/2 lbs. In aluminum version it was a bit over 20 lbs. We created the lensboard to be identical to the Deardorff board, my friend the late Jack Deardorff gave me that information. It is the smothest focusing LF camera ever, has a maximum of 35" bellows draw, with recessed adapter and super recessed board it can focus to infinity with a 90mm lens. A reversible 5x7 back and a 360 degree 4x5 back were available. Calumet went to aluminum which we hated because certain federal entities felt that machining magnesium could be dangerous (it could be unless you know how to do it, which Ben Booko did).

Regarding the fact that Brett Weston used it, that is true. Brett and I were friends from the early 1960's until his death, in fact my youngest son was named Brett after him. I gave him the camera with all the accessories and a full set of Caltar (US made) lenses for test, he loved the system and so I gave him a "No Charge" invoice.

Bill Ryan, me (Lynn Jones), Ben Booko, and owner, Ken Becker created the camera in 1965 for release in 1966.

Lynn
    Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the Calumet information; I have three of them, (also two 4x5's), and they work as well as the day they were new.

Shortly after Brett received the C-1, he and I were photographing at Point Lobos. He was really excited with the camera and lenses and invited me to make a few exposures with the system. I was likewise impressed, and recall Brett mentioning that it was gratis from Calumet.

Afterward, I spread the word among my colleagues to purchase Calumet cameras and Caltar lenses; many of them did.