Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Kodak E6 Kits

R.I.P. Kodak E6 Kits

A sad day I guess. I just bought one of these kits from Adorama about 3 weeks ago. Correct me if I am wrong but it would seem to me that Kodaks only market for E6 chemistry is the small batch home user. This must be the beginning of the end of E6 chemistry from Kodak. They might as well just stop producing any chemistry or film and get it over with.

RIP E6 Kits http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...c&sku=KKE6SU5L

Unhappy E6 Processing Chemicals Price List and Sources

Processing E-6 requires each of the following chemicals:

............................................Unit Price............Makes
    First Developer Replenisher..........-23.00..............-10L
    First Developer Starter................-8.25................-100L
    Reversal Bath and Replenisher......-8.79................-10L
    Color Developer Replenisher.........-34.95..............-10L
    Color Developer Starter II............-6.25................-25G
    Pre-Bleach and Replenisher..........-10.50..............-10L
    Bleach Replenisher.....................-135.95.............-10L
    Bleach Starter...........................-24.40..............-25G
    Fixer and Replenisher.................-10.06..............-10L
    Final Rinse and Replenisher..........-4.95...............-5G

Total: ......................................................$267.10

Pricing is from Unique Photo which is one of the few places that has smaller bottles available.

www.store.uniquephoto.com

Re: R.I.P. Kodak E6 Kits

I just began my own e-6 processing last year. I hope it's not true because I've got enough film to last for decades.

Glazers in Seattle still has them. It may be that Adorama just doesn't want to carry them anymore.

From Kodak E6 Pub at http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j83/j83.pdf
    the E6 Kit is made up of the following items and Manufacturers numbers
    Processing Kit - To Make 5 Litres

CAT No.................................. Description
    107 7643 ..............................KODAK PROFESSIONAL Single-Use Chemistry Kit, Process E-6, to make 5 litres

Replaces 156 4632 KODAK PROFESSIONAL First Developer, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 156 6850 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Reversal Bath, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 116 2510 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Developer, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 164 6058 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Pre-Bleach, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 156 2461 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Bleach, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 156 6082 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Fixer, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon
    Replaces 195 1128 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Final Rinse, Process E-6, to make 1 gallon

These items all seem to be available at Glaziers with the same manufacturers catalog numbers. Not sure why I am having a hard time finding them elsewhere. Glaziers is out of stock of the E6 Kits maybe for good, maybe not. Total cost for the individual bottles at Glaziers is close to $100, compared to $59 for the kit. Better than the $267 + shipping I found at unique photo but still a significant increase over the kit pricing. I shot mostly E6 and I enjoy developing my own film so I am going to continue to search for ways to do it as economically as possible and still get the same results that I get from the Kodak E6 kit.

You can also look into Photo Lab Supply Shops and get Trebla kits instead. They are generally cheaper. A lot of people go with Trebla's C-41 kit for just that reason. Glazers runs out of the E-6 kit often- but they generally re-stock it.

For a long time I've used nothing but the Arista kits from Freestyle.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c1002-...ls-Color-Slide

Just waiting to be developed..

I spoke with one of the labs i order with and they are still able to order the kit as of last week.
    It may just be an Adorama website glitch or they don’t want to ship it. Kodak doesn’t have it as discontinued in their site…yet.
    Check with Calumet, ive ordered it from them in the past and picked it up in the store.

Btw, If you go the individual chemistry route, just make sure they don’t require the starters.
    They are a pain to use in small quantities. Ive tried it and its hard to measure those tiny amounts.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

On the Kodak web site, the 5l kit is prominently advertised, so we can safely assume Kodak has not dropped small quantity E6 altogether - Kodak may have plenty of organisational deficits, but not when it comes to product discontinuations. Other than Fuji (which lately seems to suffer outright libel from its very own local subsidiaries when it comes to self proclaimed product cancellations), they are well disciplined in that domain, and it is only dealers (or even dealer staff) spreading rumours about supposedly cancelled products.

It seems to be the current policy of Kodak to streamline their catalogue by metricating their packagings. It would be absolutely in line with their strategy to drop the gallon kit in favour of the 5l.

Sevo,
    I see that on the Kodak site http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/pr...th=13318/13629 and that does give me hope. With all the fuji madness of late I just never know when kodak is going to pull the rug out. thanks.
    Tony