Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image Processing and Windows 7

Image Processing and Windows 7

I'm a long-time PC user, I mean Waaay back -- we're talkin DOS

Anyway, I'm having a time trying to decide if I want to stay with Window's OS, i.e Win7 based machine, or move to a Mac.

Ultimately, I want to be able to process and output prints from scanned 4x5 negs.

At the moment, I’m running 32-bit version of Windows Vista with 4 Gigs of RAM.
    Photoshop CS3 doesn’t like it and neither do I at least not for image processing
    (32-bit Vista only addresses 3 Gigs).

I considered upgrading to the 64-bit version of Vista prior to the release of WIN7 but got so frustrated with it that I actually sent an email to Microsoft saying that I was fed up with all the glitches and updates, etc. and that I was throwing in the towel and moving to a different OS.

However, I need to rethink that strategy and consider the cost effectiveness of such a move.

I’d like to hear from Win7 users that are using Photoshop CS3,4 or 5 and Lightroom, etc., and their experiences good or bad. I’d also like to hear what configuration they finally settled on that improved image processing.

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Image Processing and Windows 7

honestly, I don't think you are going to get any better or worse performance in photoshop on mac or windows. I've used photoshop on windows and mac (similarly spec'd machines) and I've not noticed much of a difference.

Just make sure you are running 64 bit, and get as much ram as you can (8-gigs or more!). working with big image files, you'll appreciate the ram. With a decent processor, and the access to alot of ram, that's going to be your best boost in performance. You could also go to solid state harddrives for your main OS and primary working drive(s) for yet another boost in performance (loading, and saving, and disk-caching)

As for the mac/windows debate, it sounds like you are wanting to try mac, so maybe do that. But I don't think a mac will be better/worse performance than a similar spec windows machine. A year or two ago I would have said windows hands down, because photoshop was not yet 64 bit for mac, but now that they are both 64 bit, I'd say go with which ever OS you'll enjoy best.

But keep in mind any software that you already have purchased, you'll probably have to re-purchase it for Mac, at least I think you'll have to, I could be wrong.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    But keep in mind any software that you already have purchased, you'll probably have to re-purchase it for Mac, at least I think you'll have to, I could be wrong.
    The new machine will be dedicated to image processing. I haven't bought any new software for sometime. I have a new copy of CS4 Design (Student Edition) that's still shrink-wrapped. Maybe someone out there still interested in CS4 might want to buy.

Ditto for LR2 - still new in the box

Generous memory, a huge dedicated scratch file, and fast disk speed are what determine Photoshop comfort...

... and for the rest of us, there's the Guide File Workflow approach, courtesy of Pacific Imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I'm a long-time PC user, I mean Waaay back -- we're talkin DOS

Anyway, I'm having a time trying to decide if I want to stay with Window's OS, i.e Win7 based machine, or move to a Mac.

Ultimately, I want to be able to process and output prints from scanned 4x5 negs.

At the moment, I’m running 32-bit version of Windows Vista with 4 Gigs of RAM.
    Photoshop CS3 doesn’t like it and neither do I at least not for image processing
    (32-bit Vista only addresses 3 Gigs).

I considered upgrading to the 64-bit version of Vista prior to the release of WIN7 but got so frustrated with it that I actually sent an email to Microsoft saying that I was fed up with all the glitches and updates, etc. and that I was throwing in the towel and moving to a different OS.

However, I need to rethink that strategy and consider the cost effectiveness of such a move.

I’d like to hear from Win7 users that are using Photoshop CS3,4 or 5 and Lightroom, etc., and their experiences good or bad. I’d also like to hear what configuration they finally settled on that improved image processing.
    You need 64 bit. You are only using about 3 Gig of that RAM and that only because windows 32 is tricky with memory. Otherwise 2 Gig would have been tops.

I can't speak for CS5, but Windows 7 is a disaster with PS Elements!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I upgraded to Win 7 x64 running CS5 from XP/CS3. You should consider 8 gig of RAM. Win 7 can take up to 4 gig of ram, and CS 5 can use 4 gig. Also consider a dual threading processor, and 4 cooling fans!

Win 7 is great - very stable, and as you add hardware it recognizes the device and downloads the most recent driver from the vendor. I never ran Vista, so I cannot compare. But I have to say my computer is no longer taxed working with larger images. And by the way, my first computer was an 86 with only one floppy drive; you had to swap out the program disk for the data disk.

Mike

Well, I'm reassessing making the move to 64-bit Win 7 especially after reading a review on CNET about these new PC's:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/ori...in;contentBody

Origin PC Manufacturer's website: http://www.originpc.com

Expensive but I'm sure it screams. I could probably build one cheaper but I have to admit its very inticing

I'm more of a linux fanboy than a Mac or Microsoft fan, but I am actually pretty impressed with 64-bit win7 as a desktop for working on photos.

I'm using a quad-core AMD phenom system with 8GB ram, ocz solid state boot/OS, 1tb western digital for programs and storage. It is fast and reliable.

I skipped over vista, 2000, and never really liked winXP. There's no epson 7600 driver for the win7 as it's an aging printer, but I still have my XP machine for printing to that.

I've got an i7 processor with 12gig of ram, windows 7, cs5. My scans are 900mb & some PS files can be as large as 3.5 gig. Performance has been great. No regrets with my setup.