Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Paper and Large Prints.

Roll Paper and Large Prints.

Well I took the plunge and purchased a 42"x 98 foot roll of Ilford MGIV FB Glossy today. I have for the most part figured out the issues around making big prints in my darkrrom space of 14x14 feet - we will see . I have an 8x10 enlarger and a 240 Lens that covers eight by ten. I have a vaccum easel and I'l be getting some large plastic trays from Home depot or other....then possibly - since I am learning to weld build some bigger more permanent drainable process trays or I have two sections of PVC tubing roughly the diameter of expert drums, that expert drum lids will fit nicely- so I may join them and make a super large print drum I can roll.

So here are a few questions:

How do people mount prints this size? I have a Seal 110S has anyone ever used this Press to mount a very large print say 24 x 30 or bigger? Or did you go someother route?

Can glass be used in a frame that is 30 x 36 or bigger?

How is the middle of the print best supported in a frame this size?
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Re: Roll Paper and Large Prints.

I am so jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post

How do people mount prints this size? I have a Seal 110S has anyone ever used this Press to mount a very large print say 24 x 30 or bigger? Or did you go someother route?
    I have a Seal 210, which I believe is larger than your 110, and I've mounted large pieces in it by doing it in sections. As long as you can cover all the print taking multiple bites then it can be done.

I've used glass in frames much larger 30x36. Make sure the frame can carry the weight of the glass. If you are transporting large pieces to a show then be careful on how you pack the frames.

I may not understand this question. If the print is mounted and matted it doesn't need any additional support.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

If you use glass, it will way a ton. Use plexi. For mounting large prints, I've used diluted Elmer's white glue on matte board.

hacker extraordinaire

I too have a small darkroom, and I bought a roll of 40" paper both to experiment with large print sizes and to cover all my larger-than-8x10 sizes--the large roll paper is slightly cheaper than buying precut sheets of 11x14 and 16x20. I haven't processed any monster prints yet, but I was planning on getting a home depot tray and putting a spigot in it somehow, and doing single-tray processing.

How does your vacuum easel work, and how big is it? I was just planning on using foam-core and thumbtacks for large-size prints.

I have a Seal 3244H Vacu-Mount that I've never used. I'd love to sell it for what I paid for it but have no idea how I'd ship it. It can handle 32"X40"

I had big dreams too but..........

My press will do 40x60. Anything up to 40x60 is doable with glass, as long as you are not going to ship it or use an extremely small frame.

I tried large prints - and used a wall-paper type adhesive, that was recommended at the time, mounted to 1/8 masonite, and overmatted....I've seen similar liquid adhesives, supposedly archival at B&H....(probably a better choice)

Mounted wet, it was quick and positionable...

I've only used plexi on bigger prints - seems that something will always fail - frame, wire, something....

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I was planning on getting a home depot tray and putting a spigot in it somehow, and doing single-tray processing.

How does your vacuum easel work, and how big is it? I was just planning on using foam-core and thumbtacks for large-size prints.
    I've 'roll' processed large prints in wall-paper trays, works very well with less chemical...and less space...limited to 36 inches, or so, on short side...

As far as easel, if horizontal projection, a good size sheet of sheetmetal and quality magnets hold large papers quite well....(probably work vertical as well, never tried)

Thanks,
    Dan

Greg

I have a 40x60 hot press for this, I would suggest finding a shop with a big hot press that can handle your needs.
    We use glass of various qualitys all the time for large murals
    We use inhouse large custom wood mouldings and brace the middle if required.
    You definately can roll the prints in a tube but I prefer rolling in a large custom tray.
    The people that make silver recovery*plastic welders* can make you custom trays .

Well I took the plunge and purchased a 42"x 98 foot roll of Ilford MGIV FB Glossy today. I have for the most part figured out the issues around making big prints in my darkrrom space of 14x14 feet - we will see . I have an 8x10 enlarger and a 240 Lens that covers eight by ten. I have a vaccum easel and I'l be getting some large plastic trays from Home depot or other....then possibly - since I am learning to weld build some bigger more permanent drainable process trays or I have two sections of PVC tubing roughly the diameter of expert drums, that expert drum lids will fit nicely- so I may join them and make a super large print drum I can roll.

I'll be following along with your progress on this.

My latest area of exploration is a large plastic livestock feeding trough. Basically a bigger version of the wall paper trough. Big enough for 50" paper with some room to spare.