Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Tripod Advice

First Tripod Advice

Hey there. So I finally bought my first 4x5 after extensively using a Horseman Field Camera in college. I wound up buying a Wisner Traditional from John Wilton through this forum. Now, I need to track down a tripod. I literally have no idea where to start except for having very limited budget. I also know I want it to be able to be fairly versatile in terms how high or low it can get (0'-6'?). Other than that I am clueless. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: First Tripod Advice

Look for a used tripod. I bought a Bogen 3036 many years ago, and it has been consistently sturdy. I replaced the levels on mine and a couple of parts, and it has always been reliable. Get yourself a good head that will take the weight of your camera. I use a heavy duty pan-tilt head because I also use that tripod with my 8x10.

Used TILTALL (made by Leitz). Under $100. 6 pounds with an excellent built-in pan/tilt head. Will last a lifetime. The best combination of price/weight/quality.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

another vote for Tiltall, it supports my cambo SC 4x5.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

FEISOL Three-section tripod CT-3371 with Tripod Bag

This may be overkill for a 4x5 but an old Majestic tripod is built like a tank. Weighs 12 pounds and extends to 7.5 feet. Will hold the camera and photographer too! They come up cheap on craigslist and ebay once in a while. I've had mine for 40+ years and love it.

I use a wood Berlebach. It works and weighs like carbon without the cost. My back up is a used Bogen 3021 I found for $60 or a used Tiltall.

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=firma&sprache=english
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

The older Tiltall tripods are the best value, look for an American-made one in good condition. Parts are available here:

http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm

Other brands can be good, but for example, I've found that some of the Bogen-Manfrotto products can simply wear out and get loose with time. Anything with plastic parts can get wobbly, etc.

Baring that, the next significant step up is a mid-level Chinese Carbon Fiber tripod like a Fiesol.

On the higher end, Ries makes the best wooden ones and Gitzo makes the best modern ones. Sometimes an older used metal Gitzo is a good value but do your research as they made hundreds of models and some are too big or little for your set-up.

An important consideration is whether you want one with a center brace. I find them extremely useful for stabilizing the camera on strange slopes, boggy ground or other unusual surfaces. On the other hand, they limit how low you can go with your camera and how much you can spread the legs, and they add weight. Overall, however, I would go for the center brace type. I have had a Manfrotto for 10 years, they are robust and well made. But, you should check nuts every once in a while as they loosen over time.

LJ Segil

Very happy with my Fiesol, prefer it over the Manfrotto that preceded it.
    Larry