Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Pricing Dagor and Ektar lenses.

A Mulatto Weegee thedevilyourneighbor's Avatar

Help Pricing Dagor and Ektar lenses.

I recently acquired 4 Large Format lenses with shutters. They're in good condition and I'm trying to find out what they're worth. Here's a crappy snapshot of them. I can provide better photos if necessary.

From top to bottom, left to right, the lenses are:

Shutter: Synchro-Compur
    Lens: W.A. DAGOR 6 1/2 in. f/8

Shutter: Ilex No. 4 Acme Synchro
    Lens: Dagor 10 3/4 in. f/6.8

Shutter: Ilex No. 4 Acme Synchro
    Lens: Kodak Commercial Ektar 12 in. f/6.3

Shutter: Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro
    Lens: Kodak Commercial Ektar 8 1/2 in. f/6.3

I've been told that the W.S. Dagor is worth the most and I've gotten a range of prices from several different people.

I was directed here and believe that you guys could give me the best, most accurate answers.

Thank you very much.

-James.

Re: Help Pricing Dagor and Ektar lenses.

There are no guaranties but those lenses should fetch quite good prices on ebay from what I've seen. Even a low starting bid goes way high. I've been watching the prices for a few months and most go for more than I want to bid but a lot of people will bid much higher. Set a reserve price to insure that you get what you want for them. Good luck!

I hope so. I'm having trouble finding completed auctions with some of them though. That's why I'm posting here. I want to know what I can get before I go for it.

Prices fluctuate so much that it is impossible to predict. All of these are considered excellent LF lenses. The standardisation of shutter, apparent good condition, late Dagors (I think) from the american goerz organisation, helps. It is impossible to predict prices, even as to which will get the highest price. 2 or 3 people looking for the exact same lens can make all the difference in final bidding. The micro condition of the lens surfaces and coating where appropriate, and the correctness of the shutter times is also important for bidders.

Setting a reserve price seems to guarantee your item doesn't sell. Just put them up for auction or set a reasonable buy it now price. If you restrict your auction to US only they will go for far lower price then if you ship internationally. As a US buyer I always look for auctions that are US only- apparently there are very few LF photographers in the US with money right now to spend.

Condition is everything, and that's what you haven't told us.

The 6-1/2" WA Dagor could go from less than $200 (no caps, bad shutter, separation, cleaning marks, scratches, coating issues) to $850 (pristine) or so. I've seen asking prices to $1,200 or so for fine ones, but doubt they sold at that price.

10-3/4" $200-650ish (perfect, coated, serial 77xxxx and higher) or so.

12" Commercial Ektar, $100 - $375 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $425. Maybe.

8-1/2" Commercial Ektar, $75-$225 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $275.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Setting a reserve price seems to guarantee your item doesn't sell. Just put them up for auction or set a reasonable buy it now price. If you restrict your auction to US only they will go for far lower price then if you ship internationally. As a US buyer I always look for auctions that are US only- apparently there are very few LF photographers in the US with money right now to spend.
    Thanks! I'll make sure to remember all of this. I intended to offer international shipping. I don't want to alienate any possible buyers. I've gotten pissed off when I couldn't get things because they wouldn't ship to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Condition is everything, and that's what you haven't told us.

The 6-1/2" WA Dagor could go from less than $200 (no caps, bad shutter, separation, cleaning marks, scratches, coating issues) to $850 (pristine) or so. I've seen asking prices to $1,200 or so for fine ones, but doubt they sold at that price.

10-3/4" $200-650ish (perfect, coated, serial 77xxxx and higher) or so.

12" Commercial Ektar, $100 - $375 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $425. Maybe.

8-1/2" Commercial Ektar, $75-$225 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $275.

Cheers, Steve
    Very informative. Thank you, Steve. The lenses are all in good condition. I haven't gotten the chance to really time the shutters, but when I tested them, they seemed just fine. I need to really sit down and time them, but I really think they're fine.

You can see in the photo that they all have front lenses except for the WA Dagor. Without looking, I can't tell you which ones have their rear caps, but I know 2 or 3 of them do.

I'll try to take photos tomorrow.

I took a few snapshots. Just to test. These aren't the final shots I intend to use for the lens. I just wanted to know if you guys think these photos are good enough to illustrate the product. I don't normally sell things online and want these lenses to look as appealing as possible. I tried to illustrate to the best of my ability the cosmetic condition of the lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teddybu...7624700751742/

A couple notes:
    The arrow on This Photo is meant to point out that it's bent. Still perfectly functional, but still bent. To be honest, I'm afraid to try to bend it back into shape. I probably could, but I don't wanna end up breaking it.

Also, I checked the shutter. The lower speeds are slow. I was thinking of taking a little video and putting it up on youtube to demonstrate the condition of the shutter. Do you think this is a bad idea or a good one? I don't see many people doing this on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    You're right about not setting a reserve price. People see "reserve not met" and shy away from bidding. I just started selling a few months ago and don't set a reserve price either.
    However if you have an item and know what it is worth and won't take less then a reserve will save you from getting too little. Selling on ebay is a learning curve which I am just getting the hang of.
    James, your pictures look pretty good. A good description with a little embellishment goes far toward making a sale as well. Above all be quite clear about your terms of sale. The old cameras and equipment I have been selling are clearly marked "as is" and "no returns".
    Mostly due to the age of the items not the condition. I've sold some beautiful cameras and lenses but at over 50 years old can't warranty that they will remain working.
    Again good luck and have fun! Selling can be addictive.
    P.S. Also ship worldwide. You have a much bigger audience that way. One of my biggest sales went to Germany.

There are several things to consider about FeeBay, and it's a changing environment.

Reserves are not needed with desirable, well-known items. A high starting bid is also not useful. If you start your WA Dagor at .99 for example, it may sit at a less than a hundred dollars for days. BUT - everyone that sees it will be thinking, "wow, I just might be able to get that." If it has a starting price of $399, and no bids, most will think, "sheeze, that's pretty expensive." Let the mob mentality help you. Ideally, someone will bid it up to a good, mid level within a few days. That way, bidders that use sniper programs (most serious buyers do - you won't know the final sale price until a few seconds before the auction ends) will know they have to set their price higher. If at the last day it's still sitting at $78.50, there is a chance a sniper will win it low. But remember - that's for low demand, esoteric items. Dagors are fairly popular.

On refunds, I also don't agree with the above. People want security. They want to know that if they get the lens, and you lied about the condition, they can return it. I always offer a refund "if we both agree the item doesn't match my description." And I describe well. I have never been asked to take a lens back.

Good luck.