Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 way head, which to choose?

Re: 3 way head, which to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    The Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 is and has been for many years, the de-facto standard three way head for 4x5 and 5x7.
    Perhaps one, but it is not the "de-facto standard". There are other choices, like the Linhof 003663 3-way leveling head. Different price points however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, Brad, I used a 3047 very happily for years until .....(snip) ..... IMO the 3047 was a bit hard to tighten securely and could flop if I wasn't careful. The 3039/229 is much better in that regard, it hasn't yet changed position on me and has been much easier to tighten.

Dan
    Dan, The design of the 3047 has changed over the years. Specifically, one of the changes addressed the issues you complain of by making the diameter of the grips on the handles much larger....sounds like you had one of the early models. The later model is much better and does not flex - even under the weight of an 8x10 Deardorff with a 300m Sironar-N mounted. Though, I have to admit, the hex plate does not instill great confidence with this much weight (almost 17 pounds altogether!) above it.

Um, Brad, I solved my old 3047's tightening problem by speaking to the handles' threads with powdered graphite. Its good for more than locks and Adapt-A-Roll 620s.

That said, the 3039/229 is much stronger. The 3047 just wasn't up to supporting Baby Bertha. I wish Baby weighed only 17 pounds.

I have a Manfrotto 229 and and a Bogen 3047 similar to the 160. Both use the same mounting plates. I can't speak to the gitzo. I shoot 4X5 and some digital. I prefer the 229 as its heavy and will hold up to 8X10 with no problem. I do like the levels built into the two axes, horizontal and vertical. I have no problems with the friction head. The unit is rock solid. The 3047 similar to the 160 is not as heavy as the 229. It appears to work like the 229 without the weight. I would go with the 229 or what ever is the current model.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Perhaps one, but it is not the "de-facto standard". There are other choices, like the Linhof 003663 3-way leveling head. Different price points however.
    as a matter of form. i will include the linhof option..
    1. once upon a time i had the linhof profi III ( first picture). 1900$, load12kg, weight 3,4kg. just a great head, if you don't look at the price
    2. the linhof 003663 (second picture) 850$, load 5kg, weight 0,8 kg. linhof recommend this head for 4x5. 1,8 lb is to light to support a 16lb camera.
    3. while browsing the linhof site i found a third optionis. very nice indeed. 1000$ load 10kg, weight 1,2kg. very low profile! height is just the half of the manfrotto 229!
    two things that cause confusion regarding the third head.
    1. i just miss the pan looking screw
    2. i suspect that it will not pan on every tripod, because of the two metal rods going well below the base of the head. it will work well on studio stands, or a extended central column. i do not use a center column so this head is not an option for me.
    boris

Personally I prefer the compact steel two way heads common on fifties to seventies studio stands (hereabouts mostly made by Plaubel, but I've also had sinar ones) - these are sturdy, immune against vibration, seem hold the weight of any camera ever made and tend to be dirt cheap.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I use the Gitzo 1570m for my 16lb. 11x14 and it is a joy to use. I love the two 3/8" tripod screws and the head is very solid. I'll be using it with my 14x17 when I get it built.

Jim

I currently use the 3047....and am quite content with it for 4x5 (monorail) and 5x7 (2D)....

Although, with the 14lb (IIRC) 8x10 C1 (I had), the 3047 felt a little unstable - even with the larger mounting plate. I used a Bogen Video Head - it was a fluid head. I sold the tripod, head and C1, so I'm not sure of the model number...But the fluid head was nice because if I didn't tighten something 'all the way down' the camera wouldn't free-fall - it had some resistance...

It was limited, as it was only two way - but easily compensated for....

Just an extra .02 cents....

Thanks,
    Dan

Suddenly, I do remember...it was a Bogen 3063 fluid head...and not the 'mini'...the older robust head....

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by DanK; 11-Aug-2010 at 19:19. Reason: Clarify type

@ dank, sevo
    my tripod is not levelled, i need a 3 way head.
    boris