Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Metered Light Pocket Spot Meter

Scott Davis

Re: Metered Light Pocket Spot Meter

Whose large format shutters are marked in EVs? I know all of mine have separate shutter and aperture controls. It's not complicated mental math to turn a reading from the meter into a zone, and the Spotmeter F also has a highlight and shadow memory function so you can take a reading, call it your highlight, store it, take another for your shadow, store it, and then display them on the scale at the top of the LCD to figure out your contrast range. Or you can find something in the scene that you want to render middle gray, and expose for that, then deal with your highlights in development. You don't need a stick-on scale to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Whose large format shutters are marked in EVs?
    Not mine...in my world EV's and stick on scales are about as useful as a wet fart!

Drew Wiley

Nobody needed a stick-on zone scale for the Pentax meter either. That seems to have
    another of those silly Fred Picker marketing schemes to make it look like an additional
    feature.

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Not mine...in my world EV's and stick on scales are about as useful as a wet fart!
    I use EVs all the time on my Spot Meter. Much easier to take a reading look at the number, took another one and see if it changed with an EV. Then I just hit the button to switch from EV to Aperture/Shutter Speed and plug it into my shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I use EVs all the time on my Spot Meter. Much easier to take a reading look at the number, took another one and see if it changed with an EV. Then I just hit the button to switch from EV to Aperture/Shutter Speed and plug it into my shutter.
    It's also much easier to quickly see the exposure range of a scene by comparing the highest and lowest EV values.

Each to their own. What ever works is the way to go, there's more than one way to skin a cat and all that. I've just never had any use for EV numbers. I'd rather have E numbers. People print with linear timers and think in terms of seconds in the dark room. I use an f stop timer and think in terms of f stops and fractions of f stops; it makes more sense to me...I'm still a shite printer right enough;-)

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    It's also much easier to quickly see the exposure range of a scene by comparing the highest and lowest EV values.
    Next time your in my part of town boy, I'll call you out on a meter readin' draw.

Drew Wiley

Kev - sooner or later someone is just goin pull out an internally metered 35mm with a
    motor winder and bracketing mode and use it like an Uzzi or Tommie - Quick draw contests are a Hollywood fiction (but they do like their Pentax meters on them thar movie sets!)

Send 'im over...I'll dust off the F5;-)