Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bag?

Which bag?

I've prowled through the archives and most of the discussions concerning carryin g LF centre around backpacks. I'm sorted in this department but recently have st arted "travelling" light - field camera and 2 lenses, meter and half a dozen DDs . Problem is I need something suitable to carry the darn things in! Any suggesti ons of a "satchel -type" bag - something along the lines of the Lowepro Stealth Reporter. All advice greatly appreciated (as always). Regards Paul

Which bag?

I use my 20 year old DOMKE F-2, with 4 compartment insert. It carries a 4x5 Technika, casket set of lenses (105-220mm) and filters, Pentax digital spot meter, 3 Grafmatics, BTZS focusing cloth, loupe, lens cleaning stuff, cell phone, notebook, and a small Leica or Pentax for backup. That still leaves the 4 outside pockets for airline tickets, books, maps, 2 extra 25 sheet boxes of film, and a cheese sandwich. The TILTALL tripod travels in its own case as checked baggage. PS: what's a "DD"?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Which bag?

Paul, As someone who is also learning to lighten his backpack I can suggest a couple of things. First, in my previous investigations into dedicated camera packs, I've been mostly disappointed. Whoever designs them seems to be focussed on the interior. As a result, they tend to neglect the most important part of the pack: the harness system. Often, these are no better than those one might find on some cheap childrens backpack. My system is this: I store my camera, lenses (like you, only 2 or 3) meter, and film holders in those inexpensive collapsible coolers (I have a couple of Arctic Zone's). They are padded and so provide good protection from knocking about. The lenses are also wrapped in those Domke lens covers (the funky fabric squares with the velcro). If I'm going backpacking, I haul out the big gun pack with the super sweet harness (a Dana Design Astralplane that I picked up as a factory overstock). If it's just a day hike, I pull out my much smaller North Face technical climbing pack that I picked up at their factory outlet in Berkeley. It's rugged, is a front loader and not a top loader, has numerous interior spaces to hide things and has a very nice built on corde system that I can attach my tripod to. My main point here is that I got a much better pack and harness system than I could have picked up looking for a dedicated camera pack (and for less money). Also, if I'm climbing and not taking pictures, I can use it as a technical climbing pack as well! And, I didn't pay for all those annoying padded dividers, most of which you'll probably not use anyway. So, consider a non-photo backpack. Hope this helps.

Which bag?

In the May/June issue of View Camera, George DeWolfe describes his outfit for travelling light.

He uses a Domke camera satchel, and keeps the camera fastened to the tripod and carries it over his shoulder.

If I'm going to be hiking somewhere, I use a Jansport 40 liter backpack with a decent hip belt. At home, the camera and assorted items sits in a Tamrac daypack. Everything fits nicely in the Tamrac, but it's not comfortable to carry very far.

If you're interested in the article and don't have access to a copy, drop me an email and I'll send you a copy.

DW

Which bag?

Thanks for the offer Dave, but I've seen the article and don't fancy carrying my camera/tripod over my shoulder. I thought a satchel-type bag would be an idea, or the Lowepro Omni Trekker - anyone used one?

Which bag?

Paul,

I have minimal experience in carrying LF gear, so take this with a grain of film.

I've been very impressed with Lowepro "satchel-style" bags. The bags seem to be carefully designed by people who know what photographers need. The flaps feel almost as though they have detents to keep them open, and the zippers are heavy-duty and stay where I put them.

I currently carry a Nikon N90s (F90x), 80-200mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens, 28mm lens, filters and filter holder, batteries, lens shade for the big lens, gray card, and 10 rolls of film (in their canisters) - all in a Lowepro Nova 2 bag. It's a bit tight, and I could probably use one or two extra centimeters, but the bag is a joy to carry because it's so compact and light. The shoulder strap is curved and padded, and the bag itself hugs my hip.

Depending on what kind of photo equipment you have, you may be able to fit it into one of the smaller Nova-series bags.

Good luck.

Beverly Hills, California

Which bag?

I use the Orion AW. While not a satchel, it will fit your folding field camera and 2 mounted lenses, spot meter, 2 DD's, long loupe, cable release, spare AA's, and appx. (4) 77mm filters all into the convienent, padded "fanny pack".

Additional DD's, dark cloth, changing tent, and film boxes can go into the removeable top portion (back pack porrtion).

Particularly if you use a compact 4x5 field Cameras such as Toyo, Linhoff, Wista, Horseman or Canham with the less massive lenses such as the 90/8 or the 135/150/210 f5.6 lenses for 4x5 image circle, then consider it.

Which bag?

What's a "DD"?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Which bag?

DD? Double Dark slide! aka 5x4 sheet film holders.

Which bag?

I carry a horseman fa, 2 light meters (seckonic 508 and a weston master V), dark cloth, roll film and polaroid holders, several filters, cable release, focus aid, lens (only have one), extra film, lens cleaning stuff. pad and pencil, extra batteries, and a calculator. If I don't take the polaroid holder, I can fit in a bottle of red wine. I looked long and hard at "camera packs / bags". For the their price, it seemed I could buy other equipment. (Another lens; maybe used). I ended up buying a back pack at Walmart in the kids book bag dept. on sell for $14.00. It took a while to find one with the right configuration and pocket layout. lucky for me that the school book backpack market is one with MANY choices. And usually a clearance item this time of year. I cut up a closed cell foam rubber sleeping pad (from the sporting good dept), and made padding / insulation. This bag has a handle on top, is made of fairly tough material, and is my camera bag. I've hiked all day with it many times. Considering the time it takes me to set up to shoot is less than five minutes, I've found it to work well. Oh yea, I carry a bogen 3050 over my shoulder. I don't think it's the be all and end all. But it works.

Dee