Thread: Kodak C-41 kit

Kodak C-41 kit

I just found these on BH website

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rocessing.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rocessing.html

Is F1 good enough or do I need both F1 and F2?

Re: Kodak C-41 kit

I develop C-41, but I purchase the chemicals separately. Until now I had not seen these kits. As the 'features' tab says the following chemicals are required:
    * Kodak Flexicolor Developer (mixed from three bottles)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Bleach III (mixed from one bottle)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Fixer & Replenisher (mixed from one bottle)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Stabilizer III & Replenisher (mixed from one bottle)

Because there are four bottles showing in the F1, the developer could be premixed as it says: "Flexicolor SM Processing Unit F1 (C-41SM) provides all 4 chemicals in one easy to use dispenser." They don't state the quantities.

Note the following: "SM chemicals are for use in SM minilabs only."

It appears that these kits are tailored for use in dispensing the concentrates into the minilab systems and are intended to be used as replenishers.

I presume that you are in NYC and able to visit their store to pick up the chemicals, because note: "This item is only available for purchase in our superstore." They do not ship. Nor did Adorama, but I no longer see this caveat on their web sit.

If you are able to visit their superstore I would recommend purchasing the four chemicals, developer, bleach, fix, and stabilizer as separate packages. It may be difficult now to obtain the chemicals intended for the home darkroom because as I look at both B&H and Adorama sites, I do not see the chemical packs for one-shot development. They all have replenishers included. This implies that they are tailored for the minilabs. This will be more expensive for low frequency use.

To date, I have been able to obtain my chemicals from Denver Pro Photo, but in the past year the prices have nearly doubled.

As an alternative I would recommend consideration of the Freestyle kits. Freestyle does not offer the Kodak chemicals but they have other C-41 kits and they ship. Their prices are more reasonable than Denver Pro Photo as well.
    al

I will move to NY soon. I will give a try on the F1/F2 kit.
    Anyway, I might go visit BH and ask them about the kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    I develop C-41, but I purchase the chemicals separately. Until now I had not seen these kits. As the 'features' tab says the following chemicals are required:
    * Kodak Flexicolor Developer (mixed from three bottles)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Bleach III (mixed from one bottle)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Fixer & Replenisher (mixed from one bottle)
    * Kodak Flexicolor Stabilizer III & Replenisher (mixed from one bottle)

Because there are four bottles showing in the F1, the developer could be premixed as it says: "Flexicolor SM Processing Unit F1 (C-41SM) provides all 4 chemicals in one easy to use dispenser." They don't state the quantities.

Note the following: "SM chemicals are for use in SM minilabs only."

It appears that these kits are tailored for use in dispensing the concentrates into the minilab systems and are intended to be used as replenishers.

I presume that you are in NYC and able to visit their store to pick up the chemicals, because note: "This item is only available for purchase in our superstore." They do not ship. Nor did Adorama, but I no longer see this caveat on their web sit.

If you are able to visit their superstore I would recommend purchasing the four chemicals, developer, bleach, fix, and stabilizer as separate packages. It may be difficult now to obtain the chemicals intended for the home darkroom because as I look at both B&H and Adorama sites, I do not see the chemical packs for one-shot development. They all have replenishers included. This implies that they are tailored for the minilabs. This will be more expensive for low frequency use.

To date, I have been able to obtain my chemicals from Denver Pro Photo, but in the past year the prices have nearly doubled.

As an alternative I would recommend consideration of the Freestyle kits. Freestyle does not offer the Kodak chemicals but they have other C-41 kits and they ship. Their prices are more reasonable than Denver Pro Photo as well.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...s/PF3_1067.pdf

now I am confused... Does that mean, F1= developer + rinse, F2= Bleach+fix?

You are correct, the information is confusing. It appears that F1 has all of the necessary chemicals and F2 only covers the bleach through fix process.

This tech note may be a little more helpful: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12550

These SM chemicals now seem to be the for Rotary Tube and Sink Line. See
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...85/12319/12549

Since they are intended to be used in minilabs as replenishers we may need to also get the developer starter and the bleach starter. See
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_01.pdf
    It does not describe how much starter should be mixed, however.

This tech note on mixing chemicals does not indicate that a starter is being mixed with the developer or bleach:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_01.pdf

I just picked up two 1-liter C-41 developers at my local dealer and a 2.7 liter bleach (I should mention that 1 gal. used to be $28, now 2.7 l. costs $47). I just checked the labels and each of these are SM so it is still possible to obtain the chemicals separately, depending on the seller. I don't see these sizes mentioned on the Kodak site but they were available separately.

As far as determining the sizes available, the tech notes/processing manuals are horribly out of date.

When I run out of the Kodak color chemical stocks that I currently have I will either switch to Freestyle's or I will do only monochrome.
    al

Photographers' Formulary Inc is repackaging the chemicals for the small darkroom users. Its missing from their web site but you can call them. They have no problem shipping it. Not tried it yet myself however, its Kodak so its good.