Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes and boxes of Kodak B&W chemicals...

Boxes and boxes of Kodak B&W chemicals...

Purchased a darkroom sink for the the kindest gentleman last night. He asked that I take "all" his darkroom stuff. The bulk of the stuff are boxes and boxes of Kodak chemicals. The form of chemicals is predominately sealed packets of dry chemical. I now have boxes and boxes of packets of Kodak D-76, Dektol, Microdol-x, Fixer, etc. And, a bunch of photographic paper. I think that most it is from the 90's.

Are chemicals still good?

Are these chemicals as good as what I've been using, which include Pyrocat-MC, Diafine and TF-4, for film that will be scanned?

Re: Boxes and boxes of Kodak B&W chemicals...

I called Kodak many years ago and was told that developers in packets were good for a year. I was asking about developers packed in cans, but she did not know.

The fixer is probably still good.

If there are dark specks in the developers, I would not use it.

The papers -- maybe. Depending on the type, once fixed, they'll be good for final supports for carbon prints.

Vaughn

Ha I bet the stock of Kodak Chemistry in a lot of small camera shops is older than a year. All you can do it test it, why not? For the paper, if you can print and develop a maximum black and the emulsion isn't separating, then you should be able to make a full tonal range print. It might loose some speed requiring longer exposures. For the developer, why not just compare? Black is black....

I'd agree with Frank....

Many of the chemicals, will last far longer than their 'suggested' life....I still use old stock paper Dektol and D76 in the paper envelopes, often darker when mixed - but no difference compared to new 'clear' solutions...IME

Paper, as well, if it prints enjoy it....

If it doesn't have the 'look' you're going for - try it with alternative processes...

(Worst part of having good results with older papers is that when it's gone - it's gone)

Thanks,
    Dan

multiplex

the paper would be great for paper negatives if you are too broke to buy film.
    if it is a little fogged, it is perfect to cut some of the harsh contrast paper can have.

I agree that chemicals can last longer than advertised. I still would not use the film developers if there are black specks in it and it mixes dark. To me it would be like changing the formula of my film developer willy-nilly. It would be like not being consistant with one's time/temp of development. My 2 cents. One can always reprint, but most negs are not re-shootable.

Amen to Vaughn's film developer caution.

I have had problems with D-76 and Dektol which when mixed, came out darker than normal. I assume that there were tiny holes in the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I have had problems with D-76 and Dektol which when mixed, came out darker than normal. I assume that there were tiny holes in the packaging.
    The old Kodak chemical packaging made of paper were never 100% airtight. The new Kodak plastic bags are much better and have expiry dates on them that are several years along.

The cans of Dektol and D-76 I have ( a few cases of each!) are hit-and-miss...mostly miss. A few were still good (no brown crystals in them) and I used some last semester when our D-76 and Dektol order was delayed. I have been working for the University for 19 years and was a student in the same darkroom for 14 years before that -- so the cans are at least 35 years old! Probably closer to 40 to 45 years. (that call to Kodak I mentioned earlier was made in about 1993, give or take a year or so.)

Vaughn

Most of the packaging apears to be a paper/foil kind of packet, this actually just a paper packet? Will it make much difference if they were stored in a dry climate, i.e., central Washington state?