Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps

Among the limitless vusual delights I experienced in NYC this past week on a mini vacation, was finding this little gem of a book - "Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps ". I think most big stores (B&N, Strand, etc.) have it. Very nice work, devoid of people but full of striking architecture beautifully rendered and nicely printed. I think Thomas is a German, now living in NYC? I guess there was an accompanying exhibition earlier in the year? Did anyone here see it? Comments?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Among the limitless vusual delights I experienced in NYC this past week on a mini vacation, was finding this little gem of a book - "Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps ". I think most big stores (B&N, Strand, etc.) have it. Very nice work, devoid of people but full of striking architecture beautifully rendered and nicely printed. I think Thomas is a German, now living in NYC? I guess there was an accompanying exhibition earlier in the year? Did anyone here see it? Comments?
    I followed the link provided by lecarp in his response and was impressed enough to buy the book from Amazon. Is there anyone else who is reminded of Eugene Atget?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    I followed the link provided by lecarp in his response and was impressed enough to buy the book from Amazon. Is there anyone else who is reminded of Eugene Atget?
    Well....me! I think that was part of the original appeal for me.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Is this his website and work?

http://www.christhomas.com/

No, I think not after viewing the work in the aforementioned link:

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    Quite stunning.

Some of those images were made late at night and others early in the morning, many with long exposures. I wonder what camera he used? Wish the local libraries had this book; I want to look at it NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Some of those images were made late at night and others early in the morning, many with long exposures. I wonder what camera he used? Wish the local libraries had this book; I want to look at it NOW.
    I had the good fortune of getting the book out from the Toronto Public Library
    my recollection from the notes in the back was that he used a Linhof Technika. Can't remember the model but it was a more recent model.
    Great images, really enjoyed looking at the book...
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    I had the good fortune of getting the book out from the Toronto Public Library
    my recollection from the notes in the back was that he used a Linhof Technika. Can't remember the model but it was a more recent model.
    Great images, really enjoyed looking at the book...
    Interesting, Frank. Thanks for that detail. Canada is light years ahead of the U.S. socially.

Wow, Frank. Just looked at some of your photos on flickr. They're wonderful. Note to self to look at more of them tonight. But for now Mr. Thomas' work has inspired me to stroll over to the museum.