Thread: Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

I'm a recent born again photographer. Starting off shooting 35mm then went to digital. After much hassle from my good friend Darren, he convinced me to get a 4x5 and get back into film. I'm glad he did because I really love shooting with my 4x5. It is a Cambo Legend a.k.a. "The Behemoth" since it weighs in at a hefty 17lbs But I kill two birds with one stone, take photos and workout at the same time. I've only had it for around two months, but am loving getting out with it and photographing.

So the reason I am here is to read and learn from the more experienced LF users and enjoy my new found interest. Hopefully if I have questions, someone will be able to help me out. Be seeing you around.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Hello from Fort Worth, Texas

welcome steven, have a nice stay, just dont feed the monkeys!
    through a glass darkly...

Octogenarian

Check out JB and Susan Harlin. They are LF photogs who also live in Benbrook.

They publish some interesting literature that will help you on your journey into LF photography.

www.jbhphoto.com

Welcome aboard Steven: If that friend of yours has a last name that starts with "H" we will probably see you at the next Fort Worth gathering attended by Mr. Huski. He has a way of inspiring the rest of us as well not only with his photographs but with his candor using large format. If you ever have to get downtown, stop in at the old courthouse at 100 West Weatherford. I'm on the second floor, east end; we'll talk about big cameras and tiny pocket books. You will be comfortable here.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    welcome steven, have a nice stay, just dont feed the monkeys!
    Thank you, and I'll try and not feed the monkeys, but I cannot make any promises.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Check out JB and Susan Harlin. They are LF photogs who also live in Benbrook. They publish some interesting literature that will help you on your journey into LF photography.

www.jbhphoto.com
    I have met them a few times already, very informative and love sharing their knowledge which I truly appreciate. I did not know that they lived in Benbrook though, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Floyd View Post
    Welcome aboard Steven: If that friend of yours has a last name that starts with "H" we will probably see you at the next Fort Worth gathering attended by Mr. Huski. He has a way of inspiring the rest of us as well not only with his photographs but with his candor using large format. If you ever have to get downtown, stop in at the old courthouse at 100 West Weatherford. I'm on the second floor, east end; we'll talk about big cameras and tiny pocket books. You will be comfortable here.
    I believe I have met you before at the courthouse when the LF guys were there a few months back. I was there but did not have my camera then, I was shooting.....brace yourself.....digital. The next time I will have my 4x5 with me. Yes it is the same Darren we are both referring to.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Welcome to group therepy, Steven. You're starting with a good view camera that will serve you well for a long time. Like you, I don't let the folks who say that you can't take a monorail outside bother me...since I do architectural photography as a sideline to my real estate appraisal business I find the full view necessary much of the time. And, you're right...it IS good exercise!

Yep, I know Steven! He has taken quickly to the 4x5, has only made about 1% of the mistakes I made, and he is getting nice images. So for that we have to consider him a punk

BTW-we need to do a Cowtown get together again. If for nothing else for Steven to show off the behemoth.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Welcome, Steven. Stick with film.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hohenstein View Post
    Welcome, Steven. Stick with film.
    I like film and will stay with using film. But I also like shooting with digital as well and will continue to shoot digital.

I am in Fort Worth also. If I can do anything to help you please contact me.

Luther
    www.luthersmith.us