Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just acquired a Wista 45DX. Would like to know the camera's history.Need your help.

Just acquired a Wista 45DX. Would like to know the camera's history.Need your help.

I am quite excited. I just bought a Wista DX45 (so the seller tells me) and he provided a serial number (534XX). I only have a single picture of it
    In the picture it looks quite red, and I cant seem to match it to the current line of cameras, or am I just missing it? I would really like to know as much as possible about the camera. Does anyone have instruction manuals, brochures etc? any info on serial numbers?

Thnx in advance!

Re: Just acquired a Wista 45DX. Would like to know the camera's history.Need your hel

You mean something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x5_Wooden.html

Steve

Re: Just acquired a Wista 45DX. Would like to know the camera's history.Need your hel

Hi Steve, do you think this is it? Would a serial number be more definitive?

They are the same model and they look the same. The red color on your photo is probably a result of the lighting more than anything else. Very pretty.

Steve

Your picture looks like my DX -- a Rosewood model. My serial number is 535XX. Don't know if that has anything to do with the models. Mine has rear shifts. I understand that older models did not.

I really like using my Wista. It's light weight, compact, and a dream to use. Only complaint I have with it is the tilt movements pivot from the bottom. I wish they were center pivots to keep focus about the center of the image. Bottom pivot though is only a minor inconvenience and once you get used to it, it's not that much of a big deal.

Have fun...

Bill

One more thing...
    I was curious as to what woods the models came in so I did a quick search and found a message from Bob Salomon on this site. He provided some great information for the various versions of the Wista Field camera:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=57545

Bill

Is there any database that has information based on serial numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Is there any database that has information based on serial numbers?
    You can ask Bob Salomon, who represents the Wista importer in the US. But I think the answer is no.

You could try contacting Wista themselves. I e-mailed them about one or two things concerning my DXII and received a very helpful reply. They took a little while to reply but apologised for the delay. The address is: WISTA@nifty.com

Good luck and happy photography. The Wista's a lovely camera to look at and to use.

Gavin

My significantly second-hand camera is F50xxx, with rear-shift and swing.

It is a fairly standard wood field camera. Get into the habit of starting with the movements neutral and locked - the rear shift is the one I used to forget, with disasterous results when the film holder went in 8-)

It folds with all locks loose, btw. It shouldn't be tight or bind.