Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

Re: Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

Just wondering why you are interested in that film? Are you daunted by learning film development or did you have a specific purpose in mind? There are some fairly inexpensive ways to get into developing 4x5, and they are much more economical than any instant film. You could probably be developing for the price of a instant back and 2 packs of film, if you bought a changing bag, bessler drum and some containers for chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Just wondering why you are interested in that film? Are you daunted by learning film development or did you have a specific purpose in mind? There are some fairly inexpensive ways to get into developing 4x5, and they are much more economical than any instant film. You could probably be developing for the price of a instant back and 2 packs of film, if you bought a changing bag, bessler drum and some containers for chemicals.
    Personally, Im interested in all films I'll be experimenting with reclaiming FP-100b45. Developing 4x5 isn't an issue, Im not sure why anyone would exclusively use instant film at its current price as a substitute for regular 4x5 unless they just had money to burn or were working on a specific concept or project. Instant film is interesting and offers something unique. Why limit yourself to any one medium? Eventually most will find their ideal medium but how do you find that without experimenting!? Always experiment!!

FP-100c 4x5 really isn't more expensive than normal 4x5 shooting and is in some cases less expensive.

10 sheets is $20-30 depending on whether you bought it on ebay or B&H with a couple dollars for shipping (I assume you don't order just one thing online when placing an order)

10 packs of color negative film are $20ish. Color processing is not going to be cheaper than B&W in terms of chemicals, and then many of us do not enjoy color printing, so we'll need a $400 scanner instead of a $75 scanner to scan 4x5 film.

50 packs of B&W film range from $50 for FP4+ to $72 (TMY2), add a couple $ for shipping, and you're over $1-$1.50/shot. Then add developing chemicals, printing paper, printing chemicals, and I'm sure you've come close to doubling your costs over the raw price of film.

fp100b45 at about $4/shot is a bit rich for my taste for an instant 4x5. The slightly smaller version is a very reasonable $1/shot on ebay, which seems worthwhile to play with.

It's just a different medium for me. I don't consider one a substitute for the other, just wanted to clarify the similarity in cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Personally, Im interested in all films I'll be experimenting with reclaiming FP-100b45. Developing 4x5 isn't an issue, Im not sure why anyone would exclusively use instant film at its current price as a substitute for regular 4x5 unless they just had money to burn or were working on a specific concept or project. Instant film is interesting and offers something unique. Why limit yourself to any one medium? Eventually most will find their ideal medium but how do you find that without experimenting!? Always experiment!!
    Good answer. Maybe I'll try it!

Given that the question asked for clear answers, I thought I would summarize.

1. FP100B and FP100B45 are different sizes. The first fits in the old Polaroid 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 cameras and packbacks. The Fuji holder that fits this smaller film is the PA-145, and it fits on a 4x5 camera. There is no holder for this film on a Speed Graphic 3x4 camera. But if you have, say, a Polaroid Passport camera or an old Model 195, this is the film you need.

2. FP100B45 is 4x5 pack film, and fits in the Fuji PA-45 holder, which fits on a 4x5 camera.

3. Neither of these packs fit under a typical spring back. They may fit under some bail-backs. My PA-45 does not fit comfortably under my Sinar film holder, however, and that provides more room than a Graflex Graphic (spring) back.

4. You can replace the Graphic back on an older Speed Graphic with the Graflok back from a newer (Pacemaker) Speed Graphic, as far as I know. The backs are just held in place by six screws. Both Fuji holders are compatible with Graflok/International backs. My Speed Graphic has a Graflok back and I use a PA-45 in it without issue.

5. No current instant film product fits in a Polaroid 545, which is designed for sheet film, not pack film. If you are quick, however, Fuji Quickloads are still available here and there and they will work in a 545 back. It is conventional sheet film, however, not instant film.

Rick "thinking the Speed makes a fine instant-film camera if it has a Graflok back" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Louis Mendes is a very well known Speed Graphic street photographer and is a beautiful example of creativity and staying true to the classics. I forget which Speed Graphic model he uses but its rigged with some interesting flashes and I believe a Graflock back that takes the Fuji 4x5 pack film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Given that the question asked for clear answers, I thought I would summarize.

1. FP100B and FP100B45 are different sizes. The first fits in the old Polaroid 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 cameras and packbacks. The Fuji holder that fits this smaller film is the PA-145, and it fits on a 4x5 camera. There is no holder for this film on a Speed Graphic 3x4 camera. But if you have, say, a Polaroid Passport camera or an old Model 195, this is the film you need.

2. FP100B45 is 4x5 pack film, and fits in the Fuji PA-45 holder, which fits on a 4x5 camera.

3. Neither of these packs fit under a typical spring back. They may fit under some bail-backs. My PA-45 does not fit comfortably under my Sinar film holder, however, and that provides more room than a Graflex Graphic (spring) back.

4. You can replace the Graphic back on an older Speed Graphic with the Graflok back from a newer (Pacemaker) Speed Graphic, as far as I know. The backs are just held in place by six screws. Both Fuji holders are compatible with Graflok/International backs. My Speed Graphic has a Graflok back and I use a PA-45 in it without issue.

5. No current instant film product fits in a Polaroid 545, which is designed for sheet film, not pack film. If you are quick, however, Fuji Quickloads are still available here and there and they will work in a 545 back. It is conventional sheet film, however, not instant film.

Rick "thinking the Speed makes a fine instant-film camera if it has a Graflok back" Denney
    Thanks Rick, very concise summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Fuji instant film comes in two sizes. Neither can be used in a 545 holder, as it is a packfilm.
    Well in my area i didn't say any two sizes, i wondered to hear from you, ill definitely go and ask to my near market place

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Often creative individuals come up with ways of making things work in ways outside of how they were designed.
    One of the most intriquing modifications I have ever seen is on my Anniversary Graphic, where some creative individual exchanged the original Graflex back for a Grafok back.

"... speed makes a fine roll film camera too..."