Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any idea what this is?

Re: Any idea what this is?

Steven,

Is the entire back gone, or just the ground glass?

Thanks,
    Richard

Yes you are right. I was looking for brass furniture on the back with multiple hinges which is normal for the standard type where the whole back with sliding panel GG section is moved through 90 degrees. But it is not necessary here because everything rear of the bellows moves through 90 degrees and the sliding panel with the missing GG follows. This makes for specially designed plate/film holders for the particular model.
    So I think it is complete at the back (minus GG).

Some of these change by rotating back/bellows as one unit around the front standard. But this is impossible with this one as the bellows is full size at the front standard. There must be a "detach bellows system" at the rear - perhaps under the sliding back panel?

I have seen a couple of these recently on e**y - but there are none at present. Will check for photos tomorrow.
    I have found one in a 1911 Catalogue called the Babel - this is one with the turning bellows in front! Enclosed.
    They are usually walnut and the solid brass handle seems to be a common feature for this version.

That is fascinating. Maybe I should've bought it... I still don't see how you place a film/plate holder in there. Is that where the detachable rear bellows comes into play?

You can find cameras in better condition if you are patient and hunt around. This one would require quite a bit of work to restore. I think you were wise to pass on it.

Peter Gomena

True enough Peter - but some of us actually enjoy the challenge of getting all the brasswork off, sanding down the mahagony (in this case, Walnut!), small repairs and making a new bellows.

This type was quite a lot cheaper than the more common tailboard/reisekamera. These made in up to very large (ULF) sizes.

The film holders were recessed edge slide type - with velvet light seals on the uncovered surface. The GG slider was completely removed and put down somewhere safe!

I note you didn't get the tailboard - but just to round off the posting I include the main photo in completed listing 350375536548. Actually if you look at one of your photos you can just see the receiving brass "holes" lurking under the bellows.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Looks a bit similar to THIS, doesn't it?

That's what I think it is - a "German-style" folding camera from sometime durilg the past century. I have ended up with several of these in various states of decay, often bought for the lens they came with - or an iris lens holder...

Ansel Adams long lost camera. Worth 2 million.

The seller offered it for $50 delivered, but I guess I'll pass on it. With Sorin leaving for 6 months, it might be more trouble replacing the bellows than it's worth...

Thanks all!
    Richard

Ok, ok, I admit it. After I posted the last message, I cracked and bought it. Steven and Ole made it sound too interesting to not look at in person. Should be here by the end of the week.

Now, where on earth will I find a suitable whole plate holder? I have lots of holders but they are all 'normal' Eastman-types.

Cheers, Richard