Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Old Geezer Photographer from Canada

Re: An Old Geezer Photographer from Canada

Hello Frank,

I'm a friend of Alexander Tkatschow. Alex was excited about getting back into LF and we were waiting for some enlarging equipment to arrive that he purchased on eBay so that we could set up his darkroom. Before it came in, Alex had a major stroke a couple of days before Remembrance Day 2010, that put him in the hospital and now he is in Good Samaritan Care facility in Gibsons.

I'm sure if you fellows that he met here in the forum ever get over this way(Gibsons), he would really like the visit. He still has the desire and love of photography in him and I can tell he is in pain over not being able to follow his love.

My name is Brian Hensler and live in Gibsons BC, moving here from Halifax, NS in 1996. I've owned a Linhof Karden Color 5x7, a Linhof Karden Color 4x5, a Linhof Technica III 4 x5, in the past and enjoyed Black & White photography right into the darkroom. I haven't been into it since leaving NS, and when I met Alex in 2010, he inspired me with the thoughts of getting back into it.

I still have some medium format and 35 mm gear and the Omega D2 Enlarger and hope to get started once I can work a temporary darkroom into my accommodations. I do have a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Century Graphics camera (3 lenses)with back and roll film backs, but being on the coast , find it hard to get film & chemicals. I hate the thought of Digital Photography taking over.

I am sure I registered on this forum before, using the same login because I would not "not register" for such a great forum.

Brian

Brian, I am so sorry to hear your news about Alex
    please extend my personal best wishes and I am sure those from many others here on the LF forum for improvement in his health and hopefully a full recovery

as you are probably aware Gabriola Island is on the other side of the Georgia Straight and several ferry rides away
    it is unlikely that my travels will take me to your neck of the woods in the near term, so I regret that it is unlikely that I will be able to visit Alex very soon. Hopefully some other LF photographers who live in the Vancouver area will also see this message and might be able to get there

glad to hear you are considering getting back into LF photography
    with regard to getting film and chemicals
    I believe everything you need can be purchased on line, so don't let that stop you from enjoying this great hobby

best regards
    Frank
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

That's a bummer! I'll try and get over to Gibsons this summer. I still want to photograph myself in front of Molly's Reach and The Persephone. Please pass on a hello to Alex, eh? How's he doing?

andrew

Hi Andrew,

Been up to see Alex just a few days ago.....I try to get up twice a week. I mentioned to him that I had joined the forum here and that I had mentioned his situation to you guys. His eyes lit up when I mentioned it...he remembered chatting with you guys. The next time I went up to visit, Alex was sitting in his chair looking at his newest acquisition......a Nikon 5100 DSLR kit(2 Lenses). He's been out shooting around the care facility. He does fairly well for being able to manage it with only his left hand. The camera has some good features as far as movement/vibration stabilization, so he's off to the races, so to speak.
    I asked him if this meant he was abandoning the larger formats....no way...then he proceeded to show me his B&J 5X7 and his Mamiya RB67 and all his other cameras his brother had been storing for him.

Alex has a lot of interests, photography, music/music creation, painting. He has a lot of talent still within...just needs the opportunity to get it out.
    I also told him that you guys replied and asked about him. Anyways, if you get a chance to come over this way, he's in Christenson Village Good Samaritan Care facility on Shaw Road (Room 372) assisted living.

I have recently picked up a Cambo SCII and it's in pristine shape, but I'm starting to feel I may have paid too much for it. I was going to buy Alex's B&J 5x7, until he said he didn't have a 4x5 back for it.......just looking in his posts here, I see he says he does have a 4x5 back for it....maybe he forgot, what with the stroke and all. I guess I missed out on that over a misunderstanding.

Take care,
    Brian

I believe I knew Alex's father or uncle as his family lived with us in the 1950's when they had been Displaced Persons after WW2. Did the family emigrate from White Russia? One of the 2 sons an artists? One son a Russian Orthodox priest or priest student? Mama T. a bit plump? I remember the family clearly as I was 9 years old in about 1955. If any member is still alive could you please contact me at: rozilla@nycap.rr.com. I have many lovely memories of the family. Our family owns 2 oil paintings, country scenes, by the son who was an artist. Thank you so very much.

Hi all,

Just to let everyone that has chatted with Alexander Tkatschow know: Alex seems to be in fairly good spirits...as good as can be expected under the circumstances.
    I get up to visit him about at least twice a week. He likes to get out on his motorized wheelchair and takes his DSLR with him were ever he goes.

He has sold me his Burke & James 5x7 Folding View Camera with 4x5 reducing back and his Majestic Tripod, so as soon as I can get some film and a roll fim back for it, I'll be out taking some photographs. It'll be a while before I do any enlarging as I need to network with someone that has an operating darkroom in my general area.

Alex and I were going to set a darkroom up in his trailer but that was before he had the stroke. He's still itching to get back into it, but I think he realizes what a challenge that would be.

I'll keep you posted on how he's doing and will post his mailing address on here when I find it out, in case anyone here wants to drop him a line or two. I know it would lift his spirits.

Brian

Hi all,

I have sad news today. Our friend, Alexander Tkatschow, the originator of this post, has passed away on June 21, 2014. I didn't find out until today, June 27 2014, by reading the obits in the Coast Reporter, the Sunshine Coast's weekly newspaper.

I had some serious medical problems myself for the last couple of months, so I wasn't able to get up to see him which I really regret. Life in a care facility after loosing functionality was a very hard pill to swallow for a man as vibrant and active as Alex was. He continued his love of photography even with his mobility problems.

Alex was more than a friend to me....more like a brother and mentor....he restored my interest in getting back into photography. I will miss him.

Brian Hensler

thank you for the update Brian
    I am truly sorry to hear the news
    no doubt Alex is now in a place where he can always enjoy the "golden hours" for good photography
    and his mobility is such that he can lift even the heaviest of LF gear…

hopefully your personal medical problems will soon pass so you can enjoy this hobby fully again also….
    as we grow older (speaking as someone who has had bypass surgery, one hip replacement and awaiting the second hip operation..) we have to expect these medical set backs from time to time and all we can control is our attitude towards life
    it is encouraging to see that you continue to have that healthy attitude
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

RIP Alex.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thanks for posting.