Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your "standard" lens for 4x5 B&W landscapes

Re: Your "standard" lens for 4x5 B&W landscapes

I mostly use a 210mm Rapid Rectilinear. If I need to go wider I use a 127mm Ektar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I use the 90mm Fujinon f8, and Nikkor 150mm 5.6 a lot, but also carry a 210mm calumet f5.6 I think its a schneider or rodenstock. I follow the advice Jim at midwest has offered me. He has never let me down and a good source for info, if you have a question Id say give him a call. He has helped me a great deal from my beginnings in large format, and through replacing lost equipment (from Hurricane Katrina). My usual advice is to give him a call, he's always found what I was looking for! I think the 150mm is a good place to start, or 135mm these lenses will cover most everything If you like wider shots I would recommend a good 90mm, Ive found at least for me the 75 and 65 are just too wide for my taste. Hope this helps,and good luck!
    Sam I very much endorse what you've said about Jim Andracki at MidWest, a top guy indeed - coincidentally I've just done a post over on the UKLFF and I 'underlined' Jim as being one of the best (imho) in the States to deal with

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    While many of us have an obscene number of lenses to choose from, I suspect that most of us actually have a single focal length that we use for the vast majority of our landscapes.
    John Blakemore is reported to only use a 180mm lens for his intimate British beauties, while Roman Loranc uses a 210mm Nikkor for those stunning California vistas.
    My vision seems to be best matched with a 203mm Ektar.
    I wonder what yours is?

210 5.6 Symmar, a great lens

andrew

Although quite new to 4x5 format over recent years I have developed a pechant for a more three dimensional approach, hence my gravitation to wider angle lenses allowing more detail in the immediate foreground.
    On 4x5 my recently purchased Fuji 90mm is getting a good workout! A very good buy indeed.

A 135mm lens seems to most accurately represent my natural view of the world. I use a Fuji CMW.