Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking real world experence on Betterlight scanner backs

Seeking real world experence on Betterlight scanner backs

First, I never thought I should write such a post after being a die hard film user throuh the digital revolution the last decade. But here I am

I use LF in the field mainly, often on long hikes. I have a Toyo 45CF in a Tamrac Expedition 8, with a neat set of lenses, film holders, rollfilmholders (6x9 and 6x17), filter system. It all fits in there and have served me well for years. For studio and reproduction work I use a Toyo GII , hopefully Kumars lens board adapter arrive soon so I can change lenses between the systems without removing the lens board from the lens.

Even if I have scanners (if I just could find that ColorQuartet dongle after I moved to a new house) I have been considering a digital LF workflow for my landscape work, and of course for studio and reproduction where such backs works well.

But I would appreciate if Betterlight users on this forum would share their experiences of working with these backs in the field. Even if there are several older and used backs on e**y from time to time, I think I would go for a new one.
    The Model 6000E-HS i expensive ($9495), but I might defend the expense with the commercial work I do. But if I did such an investment it would be to also use it in the field. How is it to use these backs in the field?
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

Re: Seeking real world experence on Betterlight scanner backs

Jim Collum, who has posted many examples of his work here and over at GetDPI, has extensive field experience with a Better Light back.

I understand that some of the early scanning backs linear (not tri-linear) that made three exposures through Red, Green and Blue filters. Does anyone know where one could pick up one of these early backs? I assume there would be a considerable saving compared to the current backs that use the 8000 dpi Kodak tri-linear CCD.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, the earlier Dicomed Field Pro back I have typically costs well under $1k. Even budgeting for the $300 firmware upgrade (to give you access to the tone map and eliminate the serial connection) and upgrading the original 1gb SCSI drive to 9gb, mine will still be under that amount. I still shoot lots of film, but it gives me one more option to have available when the final output needs to be digital (as well as working wonders with the RB67 adapter I built, 6k x 6k digital files!!!)

The tri filter approach isn't any more convenient, the likelyhood of finding a Sinar Expolux Shutter w/filters that still works, and will likely continue is very slim.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik Berger View Post
    ... How is it to use these backs in the field?
    I see two main drawbacks to using it in the field. One is the limitation to 1/8th sec. exposure time per line. That's the longest exposure possible. If you want more depth of field than you can get with 1/8th sec., you'll have to up the ISO, which, like film, gets pretty noisy with high a ISO. The other is having to scan a scene to capture your image, rather than shooting one exposure. There are thousands of scans lines in a scene you're shooting. If you're shooting anything that's moving, it may be a problem because each line scanned will show your subject in a different position. There are some interesting examples of this on the Betterlight website...
    http://www.betterlight.com/misuse_feature/misuse.html

Other than those things, the only other drawback is the extra equipment you'll be carrying. That will include the scan back, the cables, the battery, a computer, and you may also want an extra laptop battery or a way to charge your battery in the field.

Peter

there are good things and bad. one interesting thing is to do a capture in infrared and one in visible then in photoshop use the luminosity of the infrared and the color from the visible = "color infrared photo"!!!

the scans are unbelieveable when they work. I think the clarity, resolution, and color are much better than an 8x10 chrome (which I also shoot) but when the wind blows the artifacts are "interesting" (meaning you will have to do a bit of retouching for the fringing since the 3 colors are NOT in registration simultaneously during the scan).

low light is a problem; you get noise and long exposure times... and there is extra weight (make sure you get the USB and not the SCSI version). check out Renaissance photo for backpack: they have a custom designed case for BetterLight. I can post pictures...

also the sensor is more like 3"x4" instead of 4"x5" so your lenses all are a bit longer than you are used to

bottom line: I really really like the Betterlight. maybe there are DSLRs out there that compete in the same price range but I am addicted to large format and this is about the best way to get digital.

I have a little experience with an older Dicomed back and my Toyo 45A. This back uses an older Mac book that has the required SCSI connection (for that back). It is finicky, and a pain, but it works. A caution about stability- if you do any kind of odd setups, out in the field, such as on rocks, or having the legs at different angles on at different heights, then be very carefull about not having the tether cables pull the camera over, it can happen as you turn to turn on the scanner control box. DAMHIK
    Dave

i've had a Betterlight since 2001. The only time it's ever been in the shop is for upgrade (to Super6k and USB box). I'm not very 'delicate' with my equipment, and I've used it exclusively in the field (and in some pretty harsh conditions... extreme humidity and heat in Angkor and Thailand). Wind is probably my biggest enemy.. but not because of blowing leaves (motion artifacts are pretty easy to fix.. or left alone as aesthetically decided). Vibration in the camera can be the biggest problem. Wind blowing against the bellows can cause a rippling effect that is evident thru the entire image. As mentioned before.. low light is also a problem.. which can result in very long scans. Almost all of my work is done in overcast conditions, or before the sun rises. I usually carry a filmholder or two with film for conditions that don't work well with the back... but since I shoot a lot in IR mode (without the filter)... you end up being able to shoot in very low light with reasonable (1-2 min) scan times.

It has excellent dynamic range and captures true (non-interpolated) color and detail. If anyone ends up in the Santa Cruz, Ca. area, and wants to go for a shoot in the field to see how it works, let me know..always happy to take it shooting

with pano adapter

with cooke

Hey Eirik,

Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier. I've owned a Betterlight since 2005, and it's my first choice, if conditions permit. I used the Betterlight for my Shodoshima temple project here: http://www.bskumarphotography.com/landscape.html Many of the architecture and interior photos in my portfolio were also taken with the Betterlight, with no additions to the existing light. I've used it in temperatures from 0 to 40C and humidity of 95% without a problem.

I think most questions have been answered in the earlier posts, though I'm sure all of us would love to know how Jim finds motion artifacts an "easy fix".

I use an iBook G4 in the field, but a newer netbook is a good deal smaller and lighter, with excellent battery life. The Betterlight lithium battery lasts at least a whole day, so that's not really a problem.

William, by Renaissance Photo do you mean the RPT Backpacker system? I didn't find it on their website. Can you please post a photo of your backpack with the Betterlight in it?

Kumar