Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy scanner question.

Re: New guy scanner question.

Welcome to the forum Steve!

I don't think "the blind leading the blind" applies, it's more like "a chance to learn together". :-) Also if I had a chance to try out a V700 before buying mine, I'd have liked it. The V700 works fine IMHO, I got mine last week :-)

Biggest problem is film flatness and getting the focus distance right. Small tip: In order to test for the correct height of the film holder, use an underexposed color negative. The over large grain in the shadow parts of that make it easy to find out if the lack of sharpness you might see is due to your photographic skills or due to the scanner being out-of-focus. You likely won't be able to focus on the grain, as it's too small for the scanner's resolution.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    P.P.S. You are going to need that terabyte...scanned LF negatives can make for huge files...
    I have an earlier Epson 4990.

My advice is to get an accessory DVD burner soon after you start scanning MF/LF film and burn the original files to DVDs for storage. Even a terabyte will get used up fast and there is always the risk of it crashing and losing many many hours of work. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Welter View Post
    Welcome to the forum Steve!

I don't think "the blind leading the blind" applies, it's more like "a chance to learn together". :-)
    Very true. This forum has been a wonderful experience for me --and, I hope it will be for you, too. I'm a college educated (RIT) photographer. I owned a studio for over thirty years and handling a 4x5 or 8x10 camera was second nature to me. BUT - digital -- scanning -- woooo! All new stuff! Thanks to the guidance received here, I just purchased an Epson 4990 scanner on ebay. Now, my opinion of all the equipment and software may change as I learn, but right now, I'm having fun playing with all of it. The Epson Scan software seems to be very simple and easy to use. Some of the more advanced stuff will take on a higher learning curve. I'm sure you would do well with ANY of the scanners mentioned by other people here. Just set it up and start learning. Though they may have some problems ( ones that I haven't learned to see yet) my first scans came out very well. I've gotta say I was expecting more problems than I have had.
    Way back when -- In the December 1961 issue of Popular Photography there was an article by a lady photographer by the name of Georgianna Reid (it's not that my memory is that good -- I clipped and saved the article -) Her motto was " If you're worried or in doubt -- shoot a roll and you'll find out!" Well, I'm finding the same goes in the digital age -- scan a film and you'll find out. Get a scanner, scan LOTS of images -- then come here on the forum and show your efforts. A thousand teachers are at hand to help.

Quote Originally Posted by E S View Post
    Steve02, I'm glad you asked this question as I was wondering about getting a scanner myself to speed things up... my current workflow involves taking a one-week wait (or so) for my nearby lab to scan my negatives. I'll be following this discussion to see what other advice comes out!

Stevebrot, or others as well, what minimum ram would you say is needed to handle a scan of a 4x5 from the Epson V700? I am away from my home laptop at the moment so can't say how much memory I have, but some suggestion would still be useful. Thanks!

Elizabeth
    I have 2 Gig on XP Pro. So far so good...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve02 View Post
    Wicked! I am in Forest Grove and drive in to Blue Moon Camera. My girlfriend and I almost always stop at the Rock Creek pub so we don't "waste the trip"!

Where are you located Steve?

I am not worried about appearing professional or taking some teasing, I just like the way the world looks through the viewfinder.
    I am north of town in Vancouver, so we are a bit of a distance away. If you want to meet up sometime when you are ferrying film to Blue Moon, send me a PM. You might want to check out Citizen's Photo on the east bank of the Willamette for B&W processing. They have a Refrema processor (automated dip 'n dunk) and do 4x5 for about $2.00 per sheet.

Steve

Seconding Citizen's - I now use them exclusively since in the last year I've shot a lot more slide film and now am just getting into 4x5 (dirt cheap processing.. 2.15/neg 2.25/slide I believe for 4x5 - BW is under 2.00 if you can wait 48 hours if I'm remembering right). I would still be going to my favorite photo store, Pro Photo Supply, but they don't do 4x5 or slides. Bummer. Stuff has always looked good. Some people complain about the employees being cold - but I've always had a pleasurable time there.

older than most

Citizen's works for me...4x5, 8x10 E-6...and no tax!!!

Thank you all for your replies! Very helpful!