Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Live Thermosublimation Prints?

How Long Live Thermosublimation Prints?

how old thez can be ? in the shade and in the sun? i just bought an olzmpus p-40 0, the image quality is very nice.....but i couldnt find any information how res istant are the prints...

WHO CARES!! Like all the digital stuff you can just whip off another when the first ones fade. That is IF the printer ink or pigment is still available and IF the computers are still compatable in the next three years. If you are worried about longevity then get into Platinum printing!!!

nice advice ED,....but for me it makes an difference if some print technique is made for 6month as ink-prints or if i could use them 5 years or similar. isnt it a diference?

It depends some on the brand of printer and type of inks, but my dye- sub prints faded and color-shifted in less than 6 months when exposed to daylight (not direct sunlight but daylight filtered through curtains).

very bad to listen this....cause the manufactures promise that the dye-sub prints live much longer than ink prints...similar to conventional prints. this is not right?

Again, it depends. I believe that some manufacturers use pigment-based inks which are claimed to last longer than the dye-based inks.

boy oh boy...... dye sub prints is a CURSE!! I remember a few years back when Kodak came out with their top of the line B3 si ze 8500 series(or so they claim) dye sub printer, I was so impressed with its output quality. Looks like real photos! So spent $1000 printing my entire portfolio from these printer.

Guess what, after 3 days, B & W prints turn PINKISH and faded plus image sharpne ss turns blury.(ALL properly stored inside my portfolio case, zipped up, so no direct light, under room temperature) At 1st thought only B/w inks were unstable. Then printed some more coloured ones , this time quickly HARD laminated ALL prints, just to keep humidity out! Guess what...... SAME THING HAPPENED!...... K odak's dyesub printers are just out to C.H.E.A.T people's $$$$

Wish I could sue the Mac shop(where the printer is located) and Kodak for it! They should rename the printer from XLS8500----> C.H.E.A.T $$$ 8500 model.

If I were you, stay away from tho

I've been using the Kodak printers for about 7 years, starting with the ColorEase. The only difficulty I've run into, is when laminating the prints with third party laminating systems...the dyes will bleed. When using the native Xtralife - a fourth ribbon - there is no problem. Treated in that manner it's permanence is about the same as C prints - maybe a little less. This doesn't directly address the Olympus P-400, but as far as I know the dye-sub process is a sound technology for commercial applications, where archival permanence is not an issue.

more and more i know nothing......nearly everybody is telling another thing. i would be very happy if this prints can be under "normal" circumstances stable a few years a.e. normal circumstances for me would be not under direct sunlicght, but also not in a dark map.....if i cannot trust that they will be stable i have to sell my printer again i think.

This is (one of the reasons) why I took up gum bichromate: proven color stability.