Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripod for toyo 45 cf

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

tripod for toyo 45 cf

Hello,
    I have recently acquired a toyo 45 cf camera with lenses and holders, I was using a medium format before, but I wanted to try large format for a while. I'm already reading steve simmons' book. I also need a new tripod for this setup, but I'm a bit confused about that. I have searched the forum but it could be vast for a novice user, its just expansive!
    I first looked for a gitzo systematic gt 3330ls http://www.gitzo.com/cms/cache/off/h...ods/systematic
    with a systematic qr head
    http://www.gitzo.com/cms/home/produc...systematicball
    Do you think that would be excessive for this camera, it is merely 1.55 kgs (3.42 lbs), and the heaviest lens I have is a 300 mm rodenstock geronar. The carry weight of the tripod is 18 kgs, but nonetheless I guess I can use that tripod if I change the camera in the future for a heavier one. The cost of that setup is 640 euros (in Turkey).
    Gitzo and manfrotto tripods are sold here, and I always have the 'bay' option. By the way is it possible to mount a PhotoClam PC-44NS to this tripod? And would you recommend it?

Re: tripod for toyo 45 cf

You have a lightweight 4x5 field camera so get a similarly lightweight tripod. I use a Feisol tripod. I have two different sizes, each purchased from Kerry Thalman at Really Big Cameras. I assume he could ship to you in Turkey. These are great tripods, well constructed, and very favorably priced compared to Gitzo. He sells Photo clam ball heads too so maybe you could save on shipping. I have owned Gitzo, Manfrotto, Berlebach, Cullman, and Feisol tripods. At this point, I am sold on Feisol and I just bought a Feisol monopod also.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You have a lightweight 4x5 field camera so get a similarly lightweight tripod. I use a Feisol tripod. I have two different sizes, each purchased from Kerry Thalman at Really Big Cameras. I assume he could ship to you in Turkey. These are great tripods, well constructed, and very favorably priced compared to Gitzo. He sells Photo clam ball heads too so maybe you could save on shipping. I have owned Gitzo, Manfrotto, Berlebach, Cullman, and Feisol tripods. At this point, I am sold on Feisol and I just bought a Feisol monopod also.
    I will check that out Jerold, thank you (I also spotted some feisol tripods on ebay).
    By the way do you think it is better to use a 3-way head instead of a ball head? Isn't it a bit hard to control the movements precisely with a ball head (even though the weight is not much)? But I guess on that matter the best thing would be actually trying the tripod with the camera attached.

i use the gitzo combo with a linhof 5x7 and a 600mm tele lens! if you have the money and don't care to carry a 4kg tripod, so yes, it's great....
    BUT i would look at a manfrotto 745. you don't need a head, maybe a quick release of your choice.
    boris

Quote Originally Posted by o.gok View Post
    I will check that out Jerold, thank you (I also spotted some feisol tripods on ebay).
    By the way do you think it is better to use a 3-way head instead of a ball head? Isn't it a bit hard to control the movements precisely with a ball head (even though the weight is not much)? But I guess on that matter the best thing would be actually trying the tripod with the camera attached.
    For a lightweight 4x5, I prefer a ball head with an Arca type quick release. I have an Arca Swiss ball head which is very nice. The tension can be adjusted finely so that you can make smooth, small adjustments when leveling the camera. Also, I can invert the legs on my tripod so that they cover the ball head which makes for easier transport when traveling.

For 8x10, I prefer a big Gitzo pan-tilt head. I find it easier to attach the big camera that way because a quick release plate is so obscured by the bottom of the camera that I have to duck down while holding up the camera to attach it. Also, I found that using a quick release plate greatly reduced the area of attachment on an 8x10 so it is less secure so I attach directly to a pan-tilt head. Also, I think the pan-tilt head moves more smoothly with a bunch of weight on top. With less weight it is a but herky-jerky compared to a good ball head. Some people like geared pan-tilt heads but they are relatively heavy and bulky.

So I don't think you would be disappointed with a Feisol tripod and a PhotoClam tripod. You should contact Really Big Cameras for Feisol/Photo Clam advice too. Very helpful and excellent service.

For 8x10, I prefer a big Gitzo pan-tilt head. I find it easier to attach the big camera that way because a quick release plate is so obscured by the bottom of the camera that I have to duck down while holding up the camera to attach it.
    Point the platform of the tripod as if you were going to set the camera to shoot straight down (or maybe for a vertical with a smaller camera--depending on how you orient the QR plate and head), and then attach the camera. No ducking down to see the QR that way, and less scratching the bottom of a flatbed camera with the tripod screw without a QR.

Also, if you have an older Arca-Swiss head with a large knob that interferes with the camera bed, RRS makes a smaller replacement knob. I had that issue with my B2 head.

Quote Originally Posted by o.gok View Post
    This question has come up here fairly often. While some people do use ball heads with LF cameras, I think it's fair to say more don't than do. A ball head might be more feasible with a camera as light as yours, especially if the photography you do doesn't require ultra-precision (e.g. landscape). But a 3-way head, or better yet a geared head, is generally easier to align precisely side-to-side and front-to-back than a ball head.

I use both a Feisol tripod and a Gitzo tripod. The Feisol is an excellent tripod, seemingly as well built as the Gitzo, and costs a whole lot less.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have owned Gitzo, Manfrotto, Berlebach, Cullman, and Feisol tripods. At this point, I am sold on Feisol and I just bought a Feisol monopod also.
    What is your reason for preferring feisol over the rest? Btw. Have you tried ries tripod?

I've shot the Gowland Pocket's, the Toyo 45CF and the Toyo 45A... mostly.

I use a Manfrotto mid weight and a three way head. I grew up on the three way and I find ball heads fussy and floppy. I use the mid weight to keep weight down for packing. I never worry about the tripod being too light, since my solution is to add weight to the center post. I carry two lightweight net shopping bags, and fill them with rocks on site. I have also carried collapsible plastic jugs to fill with water on location and hook to the center post. The tripod I carry is sturdy enough in the clamps and legs to handled the add-on weight. Been doing that trick for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I never worry about the tripod being too light, since my solution is to add weight to the center post. I carry two lightweight net shopping bags, and fill them with rocks on site. I have also carried collapsible plastic jugs to fill with water on location and hook to the center post. The tripod I carry is sturdy enough in the clamps and legs to handled the add-on weight. Been doing that trick for 40 years.

That's a nice trick.